My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

20 October 2006

A Stroke Changes Everything and Nothing

I have not been in a knitting mood. That is not to say I have not been knitting, it is simply a state of mind. My almost finished FLAK has been sitting in my knitting bag just waiting to be completed, but I have been otherwise engaged. A few weeks ago, was it that long ago already? I was diagnosed as having suffered a stroke. Needless to say this news was not surprising, yet terrifying at the same time. My first thought, I am too young! Since then I have had more tests to check my brain, carotid arteries, and transcranial vessels. With these tests came knitting time. Knitting in the car, waiting room, offices, hospital. The FLAK is too cumbersome to bring, so I have been making more Irish Hiking scarves. I shall spare everyone from yet another photo of my scarves.
I have also had a lot of time to think about my life, especially how fragile and short it is. During this time I made a list of things I plan to do before I am 40. It should come as no surprise to those who know me well that all these things include running, swimming, and cycling. I am planning to fill 2007 with 5K, 10K, 1/2 Marathons, and full Marathons. I plan to do a Metric Century and a Century. Also, I plan to participate in a Triathlon before I am 40.
I also plan to knit up every piece of yarn I own before even considering purchasing another skein. I used to joke about knitting up my stash, now it is a goal.
As I mentioned I have not spent much time knitting, nor have I been able to bike. But I have been able to go running every day. Want to see my newest acquisitions?
The shoes on the left are for running on pavement and the shoes on the right are my cross country shoes. Sweet, huh?

And I have not forgotten that I promised to occasionally post photos of my darling cat, here she is, preventing me from folding laundry!


A line from Stephen King's Novella, "The Shawshank Redemption", keeps running through my head. Red is talking to Andy and says, "Get busy living, or get busy dying."

It is so very true.

4 comments:

bev said...

Jenn; I am so sorry to hear your news. So, what are you waiting for? Get busy! You have a stash to knit, a Triathalon and a couple of marathons to run, twins to raise, and husband to love. Oh, and not to mention - a cat to cuddle. Now, get busy!!!!

tonni said...

I suffered a stroke at the age of 35, lost the ability to speek and some muscle control. Recovered with therapy, but my life changed tremendously. Take every day as it comes, live your life, but don't think you have to "rush". Just enjoy! Happy knitting :)

CatR said...

It's great to hear that you're dealing so positively with that quite scary experience. Looking forward to seeing a new 'Jennifer Runs Ohio' pic and watching you rack up the miles. Take care of yourself and have lots of fun with your family!

Carol said...

You'll go far with your positive attitude...can you send some my way! You rock!