My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

14 November 2008

Silent Heroes

The leaves are almost all off the trees now and there are some rumours that some snowflakes may appear by Sunday (finally cooler weather), which has brought me into a thoughtful contemplation of gratitude.

I am a stroke surviour and I was was planning to blog about stroke awareness, which is quite important and I will save it for another day, but do go check out the link, it is important. My mind started to loop around several different thoughts and finally landed on caregivers. A little bit of history is probably necessary for this to make sense (how I looped from stroke awareness to caregivers) and I do not like blogging about myself, so fortunately for all, this should be brief.

I have a rare form of migraines of which there is no preventative nor abortive treatment. My form also bring with it an occasional Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA). I have lost count of how many I have had. It does not matter. When I was 37 I suffered a stroke that left me week on my left side, some aphasia, and facial dropping. I was fortunate, so please no pity. :) I live with chronic pain. I have tried every medication and trial medication, save a neural implant and that is just not going to happen (sorry mom).

So what does all this mean? It means a large burden is placed on my husband's shoulders. He has become, in effect, my caregiver. A silent hero in my eyes. Those of you out there who have caregivers, you may know what I am talking about. It is not easy for caregivers. They often must deal with grumpy loved ones (okay, maybe I am the only grumpy one) and they often do not get much thanks. Yes, I can take care of most things thank God, however my days of driving appear to be over. Not a tragedy in the least, yet having 3 active children, that places a lot of extra pressure on my husband, who does all of the driving plus works his day job.

If you personally are a care giver to someone or to many, bless you and know your work truly is loved, even if it does not appear so. If you have a caregiver, please thank them. I know that I tend to forget to tell my husband how much I do appreciate all he does and often I forget that he too is under a lot of strain.

Please thank a caregiver today. Most likely you know several, yet are not even aware of it. They are indeed silent heroes, who are usually in desperate need of a nap, pampering, and a long vacation!

2 comments:

Valerie said...

This is a very moving post. Last year I spent a lot of my time for several months taking care of my mother in law. It is a hard, yet very rewarding job. By the way, congrats on winning the quilt over at sewing with habbie! How exciting!

Tiff said...

Thanks for reminding us all how important care givers are. In a way I guess we are all care givers but some go way above and beyond and for that they deserve our thanks!
Kudos to your hubby!
Love ya!