My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

31 December 2008

New Years Eve 2008

It is New Year's Eve. Even without a calendar I would be hard pressed not to know. My in-box and spam folders were literally filled with all the "new" and "improved" weight loss tips, tricks, gadgets, memberships, and other undesirable items. According to the few I scanned, I should be a negative size. How? Well considering the coffee, water, and green tea I consume in a given I day, I should weigh less than zero, or so the junk mail indicates.

The New Year brings copious amounts of money into the weight loss business. Just about anyone who is anyone has a book out. A brief walk through the bookstore is enough for me. The number one resolution by Americans each year is to lose weight. Oh somewhere down the list is health and family, but the number one resolution is to lose weight. The lowest, is to volunteer to help others. It makes me sad that the least popular resolution is to give of ourselves. I shall save my tirade on the lack of the many to help the few for another blog post.

From what I have already typed it would appear that I am not a fan of New Years, however I really enjoy New Years Eve and bringing in the New Year (we get 1 extra second this New Year). I always make sure the house is back to how it was prior to the Christmas festivities so we start the year fresh. On New Year's Eve we decline party invites so we can spend it as a family, playing games and being silly. We do not make resolutions. However, this year I think I shall.

I am making one resolution, but it is a big one.
My resolution for 2009 and beyond is to learn to love my body.

I have never learned how. I know what the media thinks I should look like. I know what the websites dictate one should look like, yet none tell me how to love my body. I see women larger than me and think they are beautiful. I see women smaller than me and think they really should eat. I see women 100+ pounds larger than me and see nothing but beauty. Yet when I look at myself, all I see are imperfections. Now, this is nothing new, I cannot recall ever loving my body. What I have concluded is that the women I see who are so beautiful to me, all radiate beauty. They love their bodies and they glow with self confidence. How I am going to get to that point, I do not know yet, but the day is young. I do know that I shall be working out how to go about learning to love my body. For if a specific plan is not written down the odds of it succeeding are quite low and I need for this to succeed.

Why do so many of us tie our self worth into our body mass? Is it societal?

No worries, the above was rhetorical and again, that is another topic for a different blog post. I am going ahead with my day and making my plan for loving my body the way it is. Then my family and I will have a wonderful evening playing games and ringing in 2009.

Wishing all of you a safe and healthy New Year!

12 comments:

Megan R. said...

What a great post! Good for you! I wish I could say I was ready to love my body the way it is. Unfortunately, I just had a baby, and I definitely DON'T love it. You are right though, there are far more important things we should all resolve to do. I hope you and your family have a GREAT New Year!

BTW, you were above me on SITS roll call, so I stopped by!

Mama H said...

What a great NYR! I need to do that, too... what is wrong with accepting who we really are! Happy New Year! (I found your blog through SITS!)
:-)

blueviolet said...

Great post and I admit that's a weakness for me too. I wish you the ultimate success with that goal!

Have fun tonight and Happy New Year!

hyperactive lu said...

Sounds like a good resolution. I am also weak in aspect of my life. Hmmm...good thoughts! Happy New Year!

ElfTea said...

You have made me add goal to my list... to make more of a charitable efforts this year.

Happy New Year!!!
May 2009 be the start of a great time in your lives. I wish you health of mind and body. May your Resolutions for the New Year be attainable.

Veronica Lee said...

Happy New Year !!

CanCan (MomMostTraveled) said...

I have never been much for making resolutions...the very word is intimidating to me. I put a few vague "goals" in my post, but that is about it. :)

I wonder if people continue to "resolve" to lose weight just because they have in years past? Force of habit, you know.

I'm excited to see your journey in 2009, where ever it may lead!

Rae Ann said...

An excellent resolution. All women should make it! I have at various times made peace with my body, but alas, this year I really do need to take off some weight. I am thinking I can resolve both.

Tami said...

I'm with you here Jennifer! Thanks for the honesty and the encouragment your New Year's Resolution gives to me as well. After a lifetime of hating my body, it is time to make a change in that area for me as well.
By the way, I really like your blog!
Tami from Tree Swing Reading

Minxy Mimi said...

I hope you had a wonderful evening!
I have come to accept and most of the time love myself and my body... it takes a mind change really...you have to start looking at the good things about you.
I hope you can do that this year.

Heather @ Not a DIY Life said...

What a great post! I love your writing style. I know that (especially) a woman's body image is so influenced by the media. It's so hard not to want to compare ourselves with others.

Good luck with loving yourself more in 2009!

Susan (5 Minutes For Mom) said...

You're right... learning to love our bodies is so important and yet difficult.

We're actually having a new monthly feature column launching on our site called "5 Minutes for Your Body" and that's the goal behind it. I hope you join in.

Thanks for sharing!