My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

14 December 2008

Quotable Sunday #2

It is the second Quotable Sunday, hosted by A Daily Dose of Toni. I truly enjoyed doing this last week and have been thinking of a theme for this week's quotes. My brain decided not to fully cooperate with me. I had wanted to choose something witty or at least clever for this week, instead, due to true lack of thought, I pulled together some of my favourite authors.

The first quote by Austen is one of my all time favourites. The last quote by P.G. Wodehouse is one of many that my entire family adores. However, we all thoroughly enjoy Wodehouse and well, if one has not read any of Wodehouse, it may not be funny at all. Hopefully one of these will be of some interest.

"I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them."
Jane Austen


"Cheerfulness, it would appear, is a matter which depends fully as much on the state of things within, as on the state of things without and around us."
Charlotte Bronte


"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are."
E.E. Cummings


"No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another."
Charles Dickens


"When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen."
Ernest Hemingway


"Do not mind anything that anyone tells you about anyone else. Judge everyone and everything for yourself."
Henry James


"Nothing revives the past so completely as a smell that was once associated with it."
Vladimir Nabokov


“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.”
Marcel Proust


"Do not pursue what is illusory - property and position: all that is gained at the expense of your nerves decade after decade and can be confiscated in one fell night. Live with a steady superiority over life - don't be afraid of misfortune, and do not yearn after happiness; it is after all, all the same: the bitter doesn't last forever, and the sweet never fills the cup to overflowing."
Alexander Solzhenitsyn


"What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are, but how you deal with incompatibility."
Leo Tolstoy


"As for Gussie Finknottle, many an experienced undertaker would have been deceived by his appearance and started embalming on sight."
P.G. Wodehouse

6 comments:

Minxy Mimi said...

Ive always loved this one: "It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are."
E.E. Cummings

Once I started doing this, I was rewarded with being able to be myself!

Brittany said...

Love them!!! I love Toni's idea for these quotes it's so much fun!

I Wasn't Born a Soccer Mom said...

This is my first time with Quotable Sunday and it is so much fun. I really like the quotes you picked!

tara @ kidz said...

Love all the quotes, but esp the Jane Austen one - cracked me up!

Lilith Silvermane said...

"Nothing revives the past so completely as a smell that was once associated with it."
Vladimir Nabokov

I love this one, because with this time of year.. it's so true!

Toni said...

I love the Henry James quote it is absolutely right on! Thanks for participating :)