My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

20 December 2008

Today Is the Dreaded Baking Day

Today is the family baking day. It should be filled with fun, laughter, and good memories. Yet our baking days historically do not usually end up that way. Trying to be optimistic I am hoping this year's baking day goes much more smoothly than last year. Time will tell.

For the moment, before the flour starts flying, my friend Deb is hosting a cookie exchange, so here is my cookie recipe:


Candy Cane Cookies

1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sifted confectioners sugar
1 egg
1-1/2 teaspoon almond flavoring OR 3/4 teaspoon peppermint flavoring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy
1/2 cup white sugar

Preheat oven to 375 F. Mix butter sugar, egg, and flavorings thoroughly. Add flour and salt, Mix well. Shape dough into a disk and wrap with plastic wrap; chill for at least 2 hours or until easy to handle. Roll into 4 inch strips; place on baking sheet. Curve top down to form handle or cane. Bake 9 minutes. While still warm, remove from pan and sprinkle with candy and sugar mixture.

Dough may be divided in half and colored with 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring if desired. Roll each color into strips, place side by side, press together lightly and twist like a rope.

I will update how our family baking day goes later today, however it is not looking good.

2 comments:

blueviolet said...

I have tried so many recipes for candy cane cookies and they NEVER turn out well for me. They always come out rather tasteless. I'm going to try your recipe next time!

Rhonda said...

This candy cane recipe sounds yummy! However, I never seem to get them to come out right...my twists are either too tight or too loose and they look really awful!