My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

09 January 2009

Aloha Friday #2


I am truly grateful it is Friday. My plan for today is to do as little as possible. My sinuses and I are battling it out and we are expecting a snow storm, which I learned the first year we lived here to mean, we will be lucky to see an inch of snow. However people will be stocking up on groceries and water as the city slowly shuts down, should the "storm" hit.

I also received news that our electric company has increased rates by approximately 6.5% I wish DH could go into work and say, "I have come to the conclusion that I need a 6.5% pay raise". Yeah, funny it never works that way.

My question for this week is one I hope to learn a lot from: Edited to add: My heat is not on my electric bill, I get a separate bill for that. What do you do to keep your electric bill down? Due to the rise in my electric bill, I have an added question. When it comes to teens and lights why do teens only understand the concept of "on" or maybe it is just my guys?


Visit An Island Life for more fun Aloha Fridays.

12 comments:

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

It's not just your teens! My husband has a horrible case of "must turn on/leave on every light there is" syndrome. Maybe because he's an electrician, I dunno...But I'm usually right on his heels turning off the lights. I also keep the heat down, but that could also just be because I overheat easily with a baby attached to me.

Happy Friday!

Lori said...

I try to keep the heat/air at a reasonable temp and keep the lights off until it's really necessary in the house.

Linda said...

My boys do that too. I think it's because they don't have to pay the bill! I've been thinking about your question for myself recently. One thing I have read is to unplug items that are not in use, such as computer, tv, and cell phone charger. They use some electricity even when the item is turned off (or the cell phone is not connected). If you have electronics plugged in to a power strip, turning off the power strip is as good a unplugging it.

mannequin said...

I do nothing to conserve energy and I'm not likely too. Call me bourgeois but I value my heat source too much.

I DO however, make sure that everyone else in this house takes up my slack. I am neurotic (but not fully) about turning lights off. I don't want anyone to see the thermostat set on 84. I prefer for them to think they're ill.

blueviolet said...

It's not just your teens. I think it's universal.

The weird thing is mine are the ones pushing for me to be more environmentally conscious which I happily pointed out to them last time they were home.

The biggest change I made and can actually see a significant dollar savings is to have the thermostat auto drop every night when we're sleeping. It goes down at 10pm and turns back up at 8am. I've done that for a couple of years now and was surprised at how much it really did make a difference.

janetfaye said...

I try to keep lights off that I am not using. I don't leave my outside house light on all night anymore.

TheAngelForever said...

We have switched to compact fluorescent bulbs. They throw off a lot of wattage, but use significantly less. We actually have two lights that we leave on the lowest setting most of the time. Good luck, the rising cost of everything is quite alarming. Yesterday my husband received a note from work stating that there will be no pay increase, yet everything gets more expensive. Still we should be happy since he has his job.

pam said...

Turn the lights off when you leave the room. Unplug appliances when not in use.

The Muse said...

We changed to low energy consumption bulbs...we also choose appliances on the same energy criteria..
AND also keep recpts as some major appliances have tax credits from IRS... :)

All the above comments are excellent too :)

Kathleen said...

We use the compact fluorescent bulbs, which help, but then again we don't use lights unnecessarily (Yankee cheapness here). I've heard you save money by unplugging appliances (google "Vampire Energy") but I'm too lazy to go around unplugging things that aren't in use.

Tara said...

We have lights on timers. We do unplug our appliances when not in use.. lol thank my husband for that tedious task! We use energy saving light bulbs.

kailani said...

I make sure all the lights are off when we leave the room and try not to run the ac too much.