My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

17 January 2009

I Got In!!

I am rather excited at the moment and decided to blog about my joy as the cat seemed ambivileint at best. I finally was able to join the CSA I tried to get into last year and all the shares were already taken. I was so bummed. I found a different CSA last year and it was fine, but a drive to get to the pick-up location.

This CSA, the one I have been waiting a year to get into, actually will deliver the produce to me weekly. Whoot. I am so very, very, very excited!

In case someone does not know what CSA is, it stands for Community Supported Agriculture, which means a farm sells shares to individuals and families and them divides the harvest throughout the growing season amongst the members. The one I joined offers fruit, vegetables, herbs, and even some plants.

To find a CSA or farmer's market near you check out Local Harvest, I think you will be glad you did.

11 comments:

pam said...

I wish we had one of these in my area. There is an empty lot in behind our street, the owner just lets the grass grow up. Last summer the neighbours talked about trying to track him down and asking him about using it as a community garden. I wonder if he would go for it?

I got your message and I am super excited about the Valentine's exchange. I will be getting to know you as well. I will get my information to you. Thanks for being so prompt!!

Saundra@ItalianMamaGoneCrazy said...

I just looked up my area, though we don't have one... it is such a fantastic idea!!!

Minxy Mimi said...

Thats a great idea! I really love it. Enjoy the harvest!

Naomi said...

I am so jealous! You would think there would be a CSA program in Wichita, Kansas, right?! Nope. And the only farm I found online that offered subscriber services apparently doesn't anymore. So sad...

But thrilled to pieces for you! Hope to hear more about your bounty.

blueviolet said...

Great idea and something I hadn't thought of before. There are 16 near me and I'm not surprised a bit!

Rhonda said...

I've heard great things from friends who use a CSA. We will have to look into that in the near future. We go through so much produce, and it would be nice to know exactly where it came from. So glad you were finally able to join the one you really wanted to be in!

Morgan said...

That sounds pretty cool! Do you have a garden, or an actual large farm?

Morgan said...

I just reread your entry- sorry-
That does sound cool, though. I'd much rather buy from a local farmer than a mass produce store. Congratulations on getting in!

kimmerbean said...

Just popping over from SITS to thank you for visiting my blog. This CSA sounds very interesting. I will definitely be checking out your "Local Harvest" link to see if there is one near me! I see that we are both participating in the "Sound Mind, Sound Mom" book club. Your other book challenges look very interesting too.

Kathleen said...

Thanks for reminding me about this! I forget every year until June/July when it's too late to sign up. My friend did this a few years ago when she lived in our town and it was a great deal, plus you're supporting local farms. I'm signing up!

Cinnamon Henke said...

That's great! I've always wanted to join a CSA, but never have got around to it.