My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

10 February 2009

Denial

I am the queen of worrying. It is quite possible I have perfected it into a bizarre form of art. Now I realise worrying about things will not make them less likely to happen. I realise I can worry all I want about the safety of my children and husband and yet things happen. The rational side of my brain knows worrying does not help anyone! Worrying will not change the past, present or future. Guess what? Neither does denial.

Let me confess right here and now my totally, utterly, and completely irrational fear of the dentist. I am a good mom. My children go to the dentist every 6 months and thankfully we have the orthodontic stages behind us. Yet when it comes to me, not so good at going. I believe I went to the dentist when we first moved here. Now, almost 7 years later, I am having a problem with my tooth. The kind of pain that I know means something is most definitely wrong which will require me to be seen. (I think a filling is loose). It is going to hurt!

The dentist my kids go to is fine, and it is who I saw all those years ago. However, now I have a problem which is going to result in even more invasive procedures. (shudder) There must be a dentist for people like me. I refuse to admit that I am the only person who lives in fear of needing to see a dentist.

Until I find a place willing to sedate me prior to me entering the building, I am scheduled to see my dentist on Thursday (sob).
I just know they are also going to want to remove my beloved wisdom teeth while they have me there! (I have dogged that one since 1990). The other two words I fear are, root canal. This is why I worry!

ETA:
My mother yelled at me (somehow it is my fault) and my father (who has genetically bad teeth) says it sounds like a crack and if it is they remove it. So much for my parents cheering me up. I also have a low grade fever (I do not think that is a good sign at all).

17 comments:

Kathleen said...

Oh god, I hate the dentist too! I'm obsessive about flossing and brushing just so I don't have to hear those dreaded two words either. Fortunately, I go every 6 months to nip any problems in the bud, but every time the dentist comes in after the cleaning I cringe, praying that there are no cavities. I hate the sound, smell (burning) and that feeling of the drill, even with novocaine! Give me blood anyday, rather than teeth or broken bones.

On a happier note, my brother recently had a R.C. and said it was great. He was pretty doped up, and said he only felt some tugging and nothing else. Thank god for drugs!

From A Creative Heart said...

I feel your pain, as I feel the same way about dentist..
But there are sedation dentistry...I think that is what they are called...I remember looking one up awhile back where they will knock you out through the whole thing. That would work for me!!!
HUGS,
Deb

Brittany said...

Oh man I hate the dentist to and spend every waking minute thinking of ways to dodge them. My oldest is actually thrilled with the dentist and asks to go monthly. GAH! She's a loon!

April said...

I love going to the dentist and so do my girls....maybe you have just not found the right dentist. When I was a little girl, my dentist was this gorgeous man with beautiful blue eyes and a very soothing voice....I believe that's why I've always loved dental work...I know...it's warped!!!

Veronica Lee said...

I still get butterflies in my stomach when I'm in the dentist's waiting room!

One Anxious Mommy said...

Good luck - hopefully you can find some place that will knock you out. There are more and more of them out there these days!

The Thompson's said...

Dont feel bad, I think everyone hates the dentist and if they dont then they must be into self torture/mutilation or something.

Fear not tho for where there is a dentist, there is pain relief. They will numb you up good so that you dont feel anything. I had a root canal done about six years ago and let me just tell you that I have had no greater pain in my like than that of the tooth variety. It shoots thru your jaw, into your head, and travles its way thru your entire body as this is where all you nerves start in your head. Its terrible. I dreaded that trip to the DDS also, but there has never been a better feeling than having them numb my jaw to the point of sending that pain back to Hell where it came from! Ah yes the memories. I loved that chair after that. You will love it again too.

Love and Prayers,

Tim

A Psych Mommy said...

Oh I totally feel you! If it makes you feel better, I have to have gum surgery because I have periodontal disease (even though I freakin' floss every day AND the dentist said I have good oral hygeine).

pam said...

I hope it is not an infection.

I hate the dentist too. Last year I was sick and I missed a couple of appointments, and I was in the dog house with them for quite a while. Another reason I try to avoid them.

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

The only person I know who loves the dentist is Mat. He actually requested to be AWAKE for the removal of his wisdom teeth. Freak of nature, I tell you {but I love him just the same}. I didn't go to the dentist growing up {$$} so I was totally freaked when I finally had to.

When my wisdom teeth were taken out, that was no fun. I had a bad reaction to the nitrous oxide {full blown panic attack} and I also woke up mid procedure... A root canal, filling, and a crown a year later. Luckily the dentist I went to was super nice and patient. Made sure no one offered me nitrous oxide, and just walked me through everything. Not to mention numbing me up REAL good. The root canal wasn't as bad as every one said it would be either...Honest.

I do hope you have a fair visit Thursday. I could get you in with my dentist, but I don't think that would be as easy as it sounds ;)

Sarahlcc♥ said...

Boo dentist! I have to go back and get a few more finished........I've been putting it off, I just know that won't make it even better, but my irrational fears persist.

Perhaps you could talk to your doctor & dentist about a little something to help take the edge off the anxiety beforehand???

No, you are not the only person alive who lives in fear of seeing a dentist. I wouldn't have gone back at all, but I had a woman praying for my fears and holding me accountable to making the appointment and going. She looked me in the eye and told me "you are going to go home and make an appointment."

My dentist is very very patient, and actually bills himself as being gentle with the fearful ones.

blueviolet said...

Other than Mat, there can't possibly be anyone who enjoys going to the dentist. I had my wisdom teeth pulled as an adult and so did hubby and it was fine. It will be for you too if that's what needs to be done.

You're right though. Worrying doesn't help but I'm especially good at that too.

When you started this post, I thought it was going to be about the boys' trip. You surprised me!

Tami said...

I dislike the dentist too! Notice some are either so old they aren't current on the updated fillings or they are so good looking, you'd rather not go in fear of him taking of that cap & your breath smelling like a dead rat... yeah I know..

FEEEEEL BETTER!!

Naomi said...

Bob used to have the fear of the dentist, too, but since he's been seeing mine regularly he has mellowed out considerably. He had a root canal a couple of years ago and the endodontist was so slick that there was no residual pain... nice.

Kareer Woman said...

Ohh, the dentist, don't even make me go there! lol

One Anxious Mommy said...

I was also going to add -that with all the worry and anxiety I have, things like going to the dentist and getting shots/blood drawn etc, do not bother or worry me in the least! Strange, huh? :-)

Angela said...

Wow, honey you really are scared about this aren't you. I guarantee you, you are going to be fine. I'm gonna follow you now cause I want to see you through this. I'm going to pray for your comfort and for you to be calm and fearless when next Friday gets here.