My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

19 February 2009

Jen's Mouth is a War Zone

This is Jen's hubby posting an update on her visit to the dentist. First, thank you all for your prayers and positive thoughts. She was only able to do this because of the support you have given to her. Jen came home in a lot of pain, but managed to doze off a bit while I held cold packs to her cheeks. She will need a few days probably to get back online in her usual form. As I say this, I realize she sneaked in a few skype posts while I was not in the room. She's now reading the Berkeley Wellness Newsletter when what she is supposed to be doing is sleeping (or trying to sleep anyway). Enough of the tattling on Jen. She went through the whole ordeal with conscious sedation - this was something that she and I both felt was unacceptable given the circumstances. I learned something about why she was not IV sedated that is really bothering me. Before her appointment, I asked if any of the minor work that they were about to do could be postponed because our dental insurance only covers a limited amount in a given year and we were looking at a large debt for the major stuff (i.e., the stuff that would call for IV sedation). Jen was not happy with my attempt to change any part of the plan, so I told them to forget my request and do as they had always planned. Furthermore, the issue of sedation was not at all mentioned! While the dentist was working on her teeth, she said at least two people stopped by and asked why she was not on the IV and their reply was that the husband had something to do with it! I feel terrible because she had to do this while conscious and I would never have asked Jen to undergo this procedure without be completely unconscious. I know her feelings because I am as bad (or worse) a patient at the dentist as she is. Jen said they had the IV in the room, but told her that the injection that they gave her would make her unaware of what was going on. Hardly! She remembers the dentist using her jaw and forehead for leverage! I cannot reverse anything now and I cannot believe that the IV was not used. How could a dentist go against a patient's wishes here? Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway, she probably will be looking for a new dentist for her next visit.

Jen's DH

17 comments:

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

Thank you for keeping us posted {and tattling lol}. Jeez I can't believe they did that. That's just crazy... :(

From A Creative Heart said...

Hey Steve...as I told you earlier...it really isn't your fault, the doctor should have checked with Jen before changing plans on the IV..so that is on them and not you.... Yep, I would be looking for a new dentist.

Hugs,
Deb

blueviolet said...

J- I am so sorry you had to go through that but I'm glad it's over. You're officially on the mend now. Rest, rest, rest!

Saundra@ItalianMamaGoneCrazy said...

REport the dentist... please...

If the written instructions were for total sedation, they aren't allowed to take another persons advice but the patients as to what is administered, unless the patient isn't able to communicate on their own, and there is power of attorney.

Jen... sleep! Mouths heal REALLLY REALLY FAST!!! You'll be great in no time!

Christine @ Live Laugh Love said...

Thank you for the update. This is not on you, the dentist did not do as he should have done - completely unacceptable. I'd be looking for a new dentist too! PRONTO!
Give Jen a gentle hug from me.

JEN if you are reading this - GO BACK TO BED AND SLEEP!!! ;) Muah!

Seeryus Mama said...

Hugs to Jen!! I hope you have a fast recovery friend! Thanks for the update Steve.

Jenn(ifer) said...

Aw, thanks for posting an update! I was thinking about her today. I hope she gets lots of rest & is back to normal soon.

Btw, don't beat yourself up. That dentist should have KNOWN better. My goodness.

Tami said...

It's not your fault! miscommunication is often the case in offices. I know we have a lot of that going on in OURS! Too many chiefs and not enough Indians!
I'm so happy she's okay. I'd report him, or at least file a complaint.

*whew*
I was thinking of her all day! THANK YOU FOR POSTING!

Kathleen said...

Thanks for updating us, and I'm sorry to hear about the problems with the sedation. That is unbelievable, especially using her forehead as leverage!

Rest up Jennifer, and we'll be waiting for your next post! Glad you got through it ok.

Tim said...

DH,

Thanks so much for the update. We love Jenn so much and have really been praying for her, and will continue to do so.

Prayers for you also. I know what its like to have to sit by and watch your wife suffer knowing there is nothing you can do to take away the pain. Its so hard not having that control.

Love and Prayers to both of You,

Tim

Sarahlcc♥ said...

I am very upset to hear Jennifer had to go through the surgery without IV Sedation, my mouth is tingling as we speak in sympathy and my mind is going absolutely wild with the possibilities ......... I will stop thinking now.

Perhaps a little open communication will persuade the dentist to, ahem, significantly lower the out of pocket expense because of the vial, evil, totally horrendous, traumatic experience which should NEVER HAVE HAPPENED? (and it was NOT your fault DH!)

I am imagining which tactic I would use in persuading them (to reduce my bill) as I type.

Anyway. I was praying for you today. This will turn out right for you! Keep the ice packs, ice cream, and smoothies rolling! You're amazing Jennifer! Way to be strong!

Thanks for updating us DH!

Karen S said...

Thanks for the update! I have been thinking a lot about Jen and hoping that everything went ok. I am sorry that it ended up being such a battle. It is unbelievable that someone would go against the wishes of their patient... so sorry about that.
I wish the best for both of you!
Hugs and prayers from DK
Karen

Veronica Lee said...

Lots of cyber hugs and prayers to both of you.

mannequin said...

Wow. Now I feel sorry for the BOTH of you. That is completely unacceptable practice on the part of the dentist and I'm so sorry she had to go through that. No wonder the poor woman is afraid of dentist's.

Hope today finds her feeling better and able to be up and about.

pam said...

I am so sorry to hear of what happened. I hope you can put it behind you and can now concentrate on healing.

Are you going to be calling back to the dentist with a complaint? My dentist is very open to hearing all feedback, maybe this guy would be too? If not, is there an ethics board to report this to? Something just seems wrong about the whole thing, almost like they were punishing you because they were mad at your husband.

I am thinking of you, and wish you quick healing!

Minxy Mimi said...

I am sorry she was not given what she requested. Dont take it on yourself.
I hope she is resting and feeling better.

JenReg said...

Oh that is horrible! I can't believe they would do that. I think it's a good time to find a new dentist pronto...I'm so sorry!