My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

07 March 2009

The Hits Keep Coming

As everyone now knows, I had extensive oral surgery a little over two weeks ago. When feeling came back to my mouth I started to get a burning sensation on my tongue. Similar to burning one's tongue on a hot beverage or pizza, yet about ten times worse. I kept asking my husband to look at my tongue of fire, and he gave me the "honey, you are nuts, yet I love you" look and daily told me my tongue looked normal.

During one of my many trips to the dentist I asked him. He gave me a similar look then said, "well that can happen with oral surgery". Of course I signed a waiver listing all sorts of things that could possibly go wrong, I do not recall seeing "Tongue of Fire" yet I have it. Yay Me.

I normally do not go online to self diagnose. I am the type who would find some rare disease with similar symptoms and be convinced I somehow had it. So I just do not do it. Well I saw my doctor and he pointed out some papers on the topic. Good news, it does indeed exist, so I am not crazy (at least not yet). The bad news? There is nothing that can be done. No one is certain why this happens apparently it can occur after oral surgery or in post-menopausal women. A paper on the topic is here.

Has anyone experienced this or know of someone who has? I am looking for some answers.

I truly believe everything happens for a reason, even if that reason is not known. I also believe we are not given more than we can handle, so hopefully I am strong enough to ride this out however long the journey is.

I would very much like to hear from anyone who has this bizarre Burning Mouth Syndrome (yes that is the official name) I think Tongue of Fire sounds better.

18 comments:

Tami said...

I'm sorry I don't have your answers, =(
But I'm praying for you.. keeping you in my thoughts daily.

feel better. and I'm sorry your going through this =(

Jenn(ifer) said...

Jennifer, I am SO very sorry!!! I have been thinking you and praying for you. I have never heard of Burning Mouth Syndrome. I really hope you feel better VERY soon. :(

Lolli said...

You're kidding me!? Haven't you suffered enough? I have never heard of that (and yes, I like your name better). I wish I could offer you some experience or advice, but all I can do is say another prayer for you.

Saundra@ItalianMamaGoneCrazy said...

I, too, have had some mouth surgeries, (though not as extensive as you). I was awake for all of it, I have never gone "under" before and an afraid to. So... needless to say, I saw and heard everything the surgeon was doing and saying during surgery.

At one point... he said "Oops... Sorry Mrs Shaver, that's going to be very painful tomorrow." His drill had slipped off my tooth and run alongside my TONGUE! That side of my tongue... for about 3 weeks was sensitive to everything, felt like I had drunk the hottest coffee imaginable, and I didn't think it would ever go away. He has literally 'burned' a line along my tongue. The side of the drill got me.. not the point.

I wonder if this is what may have happened to you. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't been awake.

I don't have Dentist fear... I have MD fear.

I hope your symptoms only last for short time like mine. I would swish milk in my mouth to sooth it, or hold bread in my mouth.
I would try to fix the symptoms like I would if I had eaten a raw Jalapeno. I took anti inflammatories, it they helped take the edge off.

I am so sorry you have to experience this my friend.

That dentist needs an enema... A BIG ONE!

Jenn@mylifewiththecrazies said...

Have to say I am so sorry... My mom works for a dentist and i have heard of this... let me see if I can get you some more info!

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Oh you poor thing! My mouth hurts thinking about it! I don't have answers, but Saundra's comment sounds reasonable - hopefully it'll only be a temporary thing...keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

Betty said...

Oh no! I can understand why you would be concerned. I have not been faced with anything like this. Sorry not much help. I hope everything is ok. :)

Kathleen W. said...

Oh my goodness Jennifer, it just keeps getting worse and worse for you. I'm so sorry!

I'm terrified now of dentists, and it seems like yours is one of the baddies.

Jennifer said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this! Tongue of Fire? Yeeks. I hope someone can get you some advice/help and get you on your way to feeling normal again! :-(

Just wanted to say 'hi', and I'm following you - came over from MBC. Hope you feel better quick!

One Anxious Mommy said...

Wow - I've not heard of that. I hope it goes away soon!

pam said...

Oh No!! I hope it resolves itself quickly.

Veronica Lee said...

I'm sorry to hear about this. Hope you feel better soon.

Kate Nelson said...

I have had Burning Mouth Syndrome for 4 years. It began after I had both of my knees replaced at the same time. I take Lyrica, a pain blocker, and it helps. I also sip ice water all day, especially in the evening when the pain is worse.I've gotten used to it and continue to teach elementary school. I hope this goes through to you and I wish you luck. Kate Nelson knelsoninlincoln@msn.com

Joelle said...

Oh man I'm sorry! I have weird things too - but not that one. :( Hope it isn't persistant for a long time.

I left you an award on my blog! Stop by to collect if you'd like!

lykkefanten said...

Aw, ((((HUGS)))), I can't imagine what that feels like, it sounds harsh.
I hope you soon get better and that it's only temporary.
You really deserve a stream of good things now! Karma-wise you must be totally in the black!

CanCan (MomMostTraveled) said...

Oh yikes!
I hope it goes away on it's own...and soon!

Chris said...

Wow! I am sorry I have never heard of this. I hope it gets better soon.

blueviolet said...

I'm hoping that it's just a temporary situation and that it goes away really soon.