My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

09 April 2009

A Household Guide To Dying-A Review

When I agreed to review the novel, The Household Guide To Dying: A Novel About Life, by Debra Adelaide for Mom Central's Mother Talk, I was intrigued by the title. Then when I received the book I was reluctant, being a mother myself, I worried it would be a depressing read. Thankfully my initial assessment was completely incorrect. The Household Guide To Dying is masterfully written and takes the reader through Delia's life through snippets of flashbacks allowing the reader to come to understand just who Delia is. The author does not disappoint the reader with her beautiful prose, one can almost see and smell all that she describes from the gravel roads to the flowers of her beloved Australia.
The Household Guide To Dying is a poignant tale of a woman's love for her family. When Delia, a mother of two young girls, finds out she has finally lost her battle with cancer she decides to use what time remains to write a book of sorts. By trade, Delia is a household advice columnist. She uses her talents to leave behind advice for her daughters, advice she would have given them through various stages of their lives, had she lived.
I was very pleased at how witty and lovable I found Delia to be. I truly was expecting to be rather depressed, yet that was close to impossible for me considering the whit in which the story is told through Delia. She is practical, fun, sentimental, and above is not depressed (which amazed me). Delia is also a bibliophile, which I related to rather well. I found the descriptions of how Delia would react in comparison to say a mother in an Austen novel to be delightfully fun! The novel is filled with numerous twists and turns guaranteeing the reader will not want to put the book down.
I would not hesitate to recommend this novel to anyone. I know a few family memebers who will be receiving copies of this novel as gifts. Intrigued? The book can be purchased at Amazon.com. Come back and let me know how you liked the novel.
I am extremely grateful to Mom Central's Mother Talk for allowing me the opportunity to review The Household Guide To Dying: A Novel About Life by Debra Adelaide.

9 comments:

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

I'm glad the book wasn't as depressing as the title sounded!! {and hooray for completing a book!}

Christine @ Live Laugh Love said...

Okay, you have me sold. Going to have to get this book and put it on my list to be read! Maybe a little shopping at Amazon tonight!

Fantastic review Jennifer. Kudos to you and the author!

Thank you for sharing :)

Eighty MPH Mom said...

I have heard of this book and the title intrigued me too. I appreciate your honest review - I now know that it is a book I will have to pick up. I like books that will hold my attention, and this one sounds like it will do the job. Thanks!

Mighty M said...

Thanks for the recommendation - I will check it out!

Tami said...

I would have skipped over the title expecting a depressing story, the way you describe it made me think otherwise! I intend on purchasing one myself. I look forward to reading it.

BEAUTIFUL REVIEW JENNIFER!

Angie said...

That sounds like a good book. I'm going to add it to my to-read list.

mannequin said...

That one sounds interesting as well. I got 10-10-10 to review and just started that today.

Your sounds like it was a nice book, I like the idea of the comparisons she uses. Mother Talk has opened me up to some new and different types of books that I normally wouldn't choose.

Kate Smedley said...

Thanks for the review, will check it out.

Kathleen W. said...

Sounds like a good read, although I'd have the same reaction you did just from looking at the title. Not wanting to be depressed!