My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

08 April 2009

National Sart! Walking Day

Today is National Start! Walking Day! Today's kickoff is brought to everyone by the American Heart Association.

Heart Disease and Stroke are the number 1 and number 3 killers and this event is set up to kick off fundraising, raise awareness and to get people moving.

Some of you already know I suffered a stroke when I was 37. I was not overweight, a smoker, nor did I drink. Stroke and Heart Disease can affect anyone regardless of age, ethnicity, gender, and socio-economic classes.

The American Heart Association set up a fun way to get moving. Give their Start! Walking Day page a look. The challenge for today is to get away from your desk (in my case the sofa) and move. Fairly easy. The site offers some brilliant suggestions and even a daily tracker of movement as well as a food journal. All this and so much more can be found here.

If you are able, go outside for a walk, or a series of short walks. If the weather is not cooperating, walk indoors, the point is just to get up and move. Above all enjoy the time. Walk with a family member, co-worker, friend, neighbour, or pet! I personally prefer the time alone to clear my head (yes it does occasionally clear).

Wishing you all the best health and the best life has to offer each of you!

7 comments:

Tami said...

You were so young to have a stroke!

I walked 6 1/2 miles last night. I miss my walks, and my time alone LOL.

I <3 your blog =)

One Anxious Mommy said...

I will take a walk! The sunny days we have been having make it so much easier to get outside!!

Kimberly said...

Thanks for the info, I will have to go check out this site. I really need to get my butt in gear and start walking for my health. My kids love the walks too.

Tim said...

Great ideas Jenn and if I could do this today I would. I am on a clear liguid only diet since yesterday and have pretty much no energy. I am taking the meds to fluch my system for a colonoscopy tomorrow.

I will for sure do this (hopefully everyday) from now on though. :)

Love and Prayers,

Tim

Kate Smedley said...

I am so sorry to hear you had a stroke so young, I hope you are doing OK now, great and timely reminder for all of us, I've been out but I'll get out again! Take care,Kate

mannequin said...

Uh oh. I read this too late for today but I think I'll check the site out; thank you!
But wait! I DID move today. I walked a bit anyway so I'm good.

Kathleen W. said...

I still can't believe you had a stroke...that's so scary! I'm trying to get outside again and walk, and as long as the weather cooperates, I'm there!