My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

23 May 2009

A Bang, Smoke, Then Silence....

This weekend began with a bang, quite literally! Yesterday afternoon, my neighbour decided to resume work on trimming his tree before my husband and another neighbour arrived home to help. They (well I was there as well) had gotten off to a late start Thursday evening, when the three of them decided to begin this project of trimming trees. I can only presume my neighbour wanted to get an early start, so he climbed up his tree and felled the limb. Unfortunately, the limb fell the wrong way, as limbs often do around here, and took down our power line which blew the transformer box which shook the house. An exciting chain of events until I realised I was losing my A/C and Internet! We also received a caution from a very nice electric company worker, who needed the OT (we asked if we had spoiled his holiday) since the series of events above lead to the mast and some of our roof being damaged. I am truly hoping the repair is minor. My neighbour is fabulous, unfortunately it is not him we need to give the bill to, as he does not own the property, it is owned by his BIL, and he is not quite as easy going. For those wondering, my first thought was to make certain my neighbour was fine! Power was restored, albeit over 2 hours later, a plan was hatched and today we shall be working on finishing his tree, working on our tree, then the other neighbour's tree. If at any point the thought of "Larry, Daryl, and Daryl" came to your mind, you are not far off.

The economy is rather tight around here and awhile back I was asked what good things I saw coming from the recession, at that time, I honestly did not see many. These past couple days I am now able to answer that question. Due to impending lay-offs, pay cuts, less clients, and injuries (as seen in my little corner of the world), our neighbourhood is banding together and helping each other work on homes and yards, some things would probably be better left to professionals, yet tree trimming is really expensive!

This holiday weekend will be filled with a lot of yard work (I have a burn on top of a tan) and reconnecting with our neighbours (which I look forward to). Tomorrow is my Wedding Anniversary and I really would prefer not to be working in the yard, rather relaxing with my husband. Yet, I have a feeling, we will still be trimming tress.

Please say a wee prayer that no one is injured this weekend. I really do not want to spend it in the ER! May everyone have a safe holiday weekend! Oh yes, if you need any firewood, do stop by. We do not have a fireplace.

12 comments:

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

Hopefully everyone stays safe and NO more power lines are taken down!! It's great that your neighborhood is banding together though and getting things done. That's wonderful. :)

Dee-Zigns Handcrafted Jewelry said...

Wow, what an eventful and scary start to a long holiday weekend! So glad to hear everyone is alright. Tree trimming is terribly expensive so I commend you all for helping one another, just please be careful and have a wonderful anniversary! BTW, which one?

Amy A.K.A. "The Mrs." said...

wow! I'm glad everyone is alright. That had to be scary and quite uncomfortable at the same time.

Enjoy your anniversary with your hubby. I pray it's relaxing and wonderful. :)

Tami said...

I'm praying for you all! Bless you Jennifer, I wish I had neighbors like yours! Mine just ignore you, and once in a while they wave, because they HAVE TOO. Heh heh. I always wave even if they don't wave back. I smile too, and nod my head, I admit.. I take it a little over board, they see my expression and my joy and I do try to make them feel a little bad for NOT saying a HELLO!
I even roll down my window and say as looud as I can..
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD MORNINNNNNG!
HEY YOU! How are you! LOL. they usually run for the hills.


Have a SAFE WEEKEND & enjoy your anniversary!

Anissa said...

I will pray for everyone to stay safe. So sorry to hear about everything. I need to do some yard work and get our pool ready. But I need to take care of this other mess. I really hoping I don't need surgery. Have a wonderful weekend.

Jenn@ The Crazies said...

Wow... thank god everyone is OK... Scary!! I too will be spending my weekend planting and gardening and cleaning up around the yard... Hubby just mowed and I am off to pick up my cucumber and tomato plants!! Have a great weekend and try not to get burned!!

mannequin said...

Oh Jennifer....well, it wasn't boring, was it?

Sorry to hear about the huge mishap but it's so nice that you're able to look on the good side of things.

I hope you have a wonderful anniversary relaxing but if not, hope the neighborhood work party is a blast. Well, not that kind of blast..

AB HOME INTERIORS said...

Wow that is incredible. But wonderful that everyone banded together. Have a happy safe weekend. Stopping by from SITS!

Mighty M said...

Wow - if your neighbor wanted to launch some fireworks for your anniversary he probably could have thought of a better way! Glad no one was hurt and I hope you are able to fit in a proper celebration!

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Oh man! Hopefully the BIL will be amenable to paying the bill that his brother created when trying to do the tree trimming himself...if nothing else, you'd think his homeowner's insurance would cover it... We're lucky that when our neighbor decided to cut some limbs out of his trees and they landed on the power line, that it only affected the power to his house and not ours... It's great that the power company was able to have someone out so quickly, though - living without A/C or internet for any length of time would be frustrating! :)

Hopefully you're not spending today trimming trees and you'll have some time to relax with your hubby...Happy Anniversary! :)

Eighty MPH Mom said...

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear about your series of unfortunate events. I'm sorry - but I did have to chuckle at your "Larry, Daryl and Daryl" reference. It painted the perfect picture in my head!

I hope you will all be safe this weekend - and please do not forget the sunscreen!

Kathleen W. said...

Oh my! I get nervous whenever I see someone cutting down a tree, particularly a non-professional.

I hope all went well, and it's good that you have a good outlook and sense of humor about the whole situation