My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

11 May 2009

Uncaffeinated Thoughts On A Monday Morning

It is a beautiful sunny Monday morning, the house is all quiet, while I sit waiting for my coffee to steep and my mind is blank. I would like to share something profound or witty, yet neither seem to be in my brain this morning.

Why am I thinking nothing? Have I obtained a new place in contentment? Have I mastered meditation. I think not. I have tried, meditation is not as easy as it appears! I digress, my point was my mind is blank.

I feel a bit like A.A. Milne's beloved Winnie-the-Pooh, sitting, tapping his forehead and saying, "think, think, think". If I recall correctly, it did not work for Pooh either.

Please do not misunderstand, I have a lot of things going through my head, yet not the ones anyone wants to read about? Doubt me? I need to tidy up, vacuum, do the laundry, exercise (is today a weight lifting day?), make a grocery list, see if there is enough money to buy new running shoes, find out when the end of the season track banquet is, find the necessary medical forms for cross country (are they due this week?), and the list goes on. Nothing exciting, just the usual parent stuff.

For those keeping score, the virus is still winning, but I have not given in. I know I will be able to smell again!

Yesterday was a wonderful day. We did not do anything in particular, yet we spent the day together. Being a mum to 3 teenagers I have learned to cherish every single moment my children are actually home (those times are becoming more and more rare). I would have to say I had a brilliant day and my children recorded the loveliest of messages on one of those Hallmark cards. Whomever designed those cards, thank you! I do not have the means to record my children, so this small bit of technology, in card form, pleased me greatly.

We spent some time looking at colleges. Now my husband is a professor at a university, so one would think I would be prepared for the prices, I was not. DH and I both attended private colleges, and the tuition at the time (in the dark ages) was not inexpensive by any means, yet today's pricing? WOW! One school my oldest is interested in is over $50,000/year! Where does the money go? Not to the professors, I can promise all of you, their pay is not great. Looking at the prices of colleges and universities has set us into a small panic. We are running out of time to come up with a creative solution. My son will indeed need to work, as I did, many students attend college full-time and work. I hear people say they do not want their child working while in school. Why? Even if money was not an issue (ah allow me this brief moment of fantasy), I believe working not only builds character but enables a student to learn valuable time management skills. Attending a college/university full time and holding a job or two is done more often than many think. I could go on and on, as DH tells me far too many tales of students who feel entitled. I shall spare all of you (did I just hear collective sigh of relief?)

Yes dear readers, my coffee is ready, which explains my previously mentioned sparing. My brain is beginning to wake and to prepare for this day. After a cup of coffee or two, I need to ring up the dentist to find out why they are under the impression I owe them money when the insurance company believes it the other way round. Yay Me!

12 comments:

Andrea Proulx said...

Aren't the Hallmark recordable cards amazing? I gave one to each Mom in my life and had the girls record on them.

College prices are outrageous. And that's now. I'm so scared about 10+ years down the road when my girls are going to go.

Amy A.K.A. "The Mrs." said...

I love reading your pre-coffee thoughts.
I'm sure the card you received will be treasured for years to come. :) What a nice thought.
AND, I am a mirror image of Pooh over here too. :) "think, think, think". lol
Enjoy your monday morning coffee.

kimert said...

Pooh has always been my fave...

great post. Happy Monday!! :)

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

Pre-coffee thoughts are the best, aren't they? Though mine are a little duller and I assume slower than yours. :)

Naomi said...

I think Roo's preschool costs more than my college did but that's probably why my parents insisted I go to UT. I still resent them for not even filling out the financial aid forms so I could go to one of the private schools I got into...

Mighty M said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Mother's Day! I imagine you will hang onto that card for a long time to come!! ;-)

Kathleen W. said...

I'm glad you had a nice day, and I'm afraid of what tuition will be when our son goes to college. My husband's university pays for kids of employees to go there for free but who knows how long that will last. Or if he can stomach staying at that job for that long.

itsahumanzoo said...

I don't drink coffee, but I do have a glass of diet coke to help me wake up. It's probably not good to be caffeine-dependant, but at least I don't drink as much as I used to!

And I agree about college prices. We still have a while to go before ours are ready for college, and I'm sure it will cost even more than it does now. Scary.

Jenni Jiggety said...

I am not looking forward to finding out what college is going to cost by the time my boys get there. Yikes!

Kristin said...

Kudos to you for having pre-coffee thoughts! I don't think my brain even turns on until I've had my first cup. Sweet addiction. : ) Hi from SITS!

angie said...

Happy Mother's Day, Jennifer! I don't even want to think about college. :)

Anissa said...

Hope you feel better soon. I'm on the couch with a stuffy nose and a fractured tailbone (found out today)
I love those cards they are so cute.
TFS -I still have 3 years before we start looking at college.