My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

14 June 2009

Quotable Sunday-In Memory

Remembrance
Today is Flag Day and I have chosen poems, that I found beautiful, regarding life and death. My friend John passed away on Tuesday. John loved his country and served his country as a Navy SEAL in Vietnam. So I honour his memory for today's Quotable Sunday

My life closed twice before its close;
It yet remains to see
If Immortality unveil
A third event to me,
So huge, so hopeless to conceive,
As these that twice befell.
Parting is all we know of heaven,
And all we need of hell.
.
-Emily Dickinson

Down, down, down into the darkness of the grave
Gently they go, the beautiful, the tender, the kind;
Quietly they go, the intelligent, the witty, the brave.
I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned
.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay

Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
and things are not what they seem.
Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou art; to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul
.
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

You can shed tears that she is gone,
or you can smile because she has lived.
You can close your eyes and pray that she'll come back,
or you can open your eyes and see all she's left.
Your heart can be empty because you can't see her,
or you can be full of the love you shared.
You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday,
or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.
You can remember her only that she is gone,
or you can cherish her memory and let it live on.
You can cry and close your mind,
be empty and turn your back.
Or you can do what she'd want:
smile, open your eyes, love and go on
.
-David Harkins

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He is Dead.
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one,
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun,
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods;
For nothing now can ever come to any good
.
-W.H. Auden

And thou, most kind and gentle death waiting to hush our latest breath O Praise Him-Alleluia! Thou leadest home the child of God and Christ our Lord the way hath trod.
- St. Francis of Assisi


To join in the fun or to see what other topics are being quoted visit A Daily Dose of Toni

14 comments:

Kathleen W. said...

That Auden poems tears me up every time. I hope you find some comfort today Jennifer. You and your friend and her son are in my thoughts.

Tami said...

BEAUTIFUL!
My son came over last night, however he didn't get a chance to get on the computer. I'm sorry!. We had a house full last night =(

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Those are absolutely beautiful poems, Jennifer! So sorry to hear about your friend... ((HUGZ!))

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

Knitty, those are beautiful quotes. I continue to pray for John's family.

kiddiescorner said...

You chose beautiful quotes. I am sorry about your friends passing

JAN'S PLACE said...

Oh, a hard week for you as well. I am so sorry for your friends loss of her husband..and for you and all those who loved him on this earth.

I especially like..
And thou, most kind and gentle death waiting to hush our latest breath O Praise Him-Alleluia! Thou leadest home the child of God and Christ our Lord the way hath trod.

Sweet Serendipity said...

I am so sorry to hear of your friend's passing. Your quotes are a beautiful tribute.

I hope that you and his family can find peace and comfort in each other in this difficult time.

hugs and love to you.

LT said...

Lovely comforting words today. The one by David Harkins brought tears to my eyes, thank you for posting it! Our thoughts and prayers are still with your friends family and yours.

I am Harriet said...

That was a great tribute!

http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/06/sunday-is-cool.html

Kekibird said...

What a beautiful tribute. Those words were all so touching, especially about crying for her the passing or smiling for her life lived. Very beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.

AudreyO said...

My condolences on the loss of your friend. When I'm hurting I've often found reading poems and quotes can really help me feel better. You've chosen some great words to share today.

~~tonya~~ said...

So sorry on the loss of your friend. Great quotes and tribute.

((HUGS)) to you!

Just A Mom (Call me JAM for short) said...

Jennifer, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's passing. You have created a beautiful tribute to him. I love the poem by David Harkins.

Martha in PA said...

I am sorry for the loss of your friend. My brother served and gave his life in Viet Nam. I love the Harkins poem.