My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

25 July 2009

Rhetorical Ramblings

"You never understand a person until you consider things from his point of view."
~ Harper Lee

*warning, I needed to blog or explode. The following is rhetorical ramblings on my part as I try to digest what I recently learned.

I have believed in the truth of this quote for as long as I can recall. I want it to be true yet I wonder, do I want to consider some other points of views? This evening I discovered my other neighbours are racist. Now I knew some of my other neighbours were (some even have flags and signs-yes signs), but we did not think this particular couple (or their children) were. It turns out they are to the point where their children will not inter-mix with other races at school. This type of thinking confounds me, angers me, frustrates me, and saddens me.

How does one be tolerant in an intolerant world?

I do not think there is an answer. I realise this is not an isolated incident. The world over intolerance at one time or another has caused dreadful problems. So, do I accept the intolerance? If I do not , then am I too, intolerant? Which brings me back to Harper Lee's quote and me pondering if I even want to entertain why some of my neighbours think the way they do. If I am less understanding of their mindset, am I just as wrong? When will it end? When will we all realise we are all want the same things for our families?

5 comments:

Jennifer-EightyMPHMom said...

That is a wonderful quote...I just don't understand some people...

From A Creative Heart said...

Jen...
this stuff boggles my mind...but if we are all honest we all have stuff that we are intolerant of...it may not show up as racist...but we all have some form of it. So I just say ignore it....if asked your opinion, give it...but sometimes the way to change someones opinion is to see it lived out positively in someone elses life.
Just my humble opinion...
Hugs,
Deb

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

Very troubling. This was something I did not understand growing up. My dad, hailing from SC had very strong opinions about different races - but he had quite a few African American friends. I remember senior year homecoming, my date was going to be my friend {and just a friend} Jesse who actually was one of my father's friend's sons. Perfect student, honor roll, etc - just happened to be black. And my dad told me I couldn't go. It was a big stink - and it baffled me. I still went, against BOTH of my parents' wishes. Had a ball too.

LT said...

I am so sorry, I have no advice to give. You have touched on a subject I also have no tolerance for and would also have a very tough time considering their point of view! Maybe we can only hope and pray that something will happen to change their point of view.

Whimsical Creations said...

I am sorry you have to go through that.