My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

10 August 2009

Daniel X Watch The Skies: A Book Review

I am one of those people who likes give books as gifts. Yes, I am known as the "Book Aunt". Being an avid reader I feel I need to share the joy of reading with others. So when Mother Talk emailed me to see if I was interested in reviewing James Patterson's book, Daniel X Watch the Skies, I could not turn it down. I will say upfront I have been a fan of James Patterson's Alex Cross mysteries for years, but I had never read any of his young adult fiction. I was a bit worried when I discovered Daniel X Watch the Skies was the second in the series. Would I be lost? Would I be able to get into the flow of the story without having read the previous Daniel X novel. Fortunately, Patterson makes it very easy for the reader to get into the groove of this novel with no prior knowledge of Daniel X.
Daniel X is an alien whose mission it is to protect Earth. While Daniel X has a vast array of super powers, it is quite easy to forget he is an alien as he deals through issues most of us face at one time or another such as; friendships, relationships, issues with parents, school, feeling awkward, shy, and not fitting in. Daniel X's mission is to protect Earth from another alien race whose leader, Number 5, is determined to rid Earth of all its inhabitants.
I found the novel to be an intriguing blend of fantasy and science fiction, which engaged the reader's imagination. Rather then describing scenes of gore or violence Patterson allows the reader to envision what is happening. Patterson has created a super hero who happens to be an alien hunter posing as a human, making Daniel X easy to relate with. The chapters are in typical Patterson style, which means they are short. Which happens to be perfect for a young reader or a parent reading a few chapters to their child before bedtime.
I know of a couple of nephews who will be receiving this book, and the one before this one, as Christmas gifts. The "Book Aunt" is about to strike again!
Thank you to Mother Talk for allowing me the opportunity to review Daniel X Watch the Skies by James Patterson.
*Disclaimer: The only compensation I have received is a copy of the book to review. The opinions in this post are mine based upon reading the novel. Upon completion of the book tour I may receive a gift card.

5 comments:

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

This sounds like a great book for one of my nephews ... I'm sure they would enjoy a book like this. Great write up!

Amy A.K.A. "The Mrs." said...

That sounds very interesting. I'm not a big sci-fi reader, but your review has made me curious. Thanks for sharing about it.

Andrea Proulx said...

I love reading Young Adult novels. I find them easy reads that can sometimes be just as appealing for us adults too. This is one I will be adding to my Good Reads list.

Jennifer-EightyMPHMom said...

I wish I had a "Book Aunt"! Books do make wonderful gifts, and I much prefer them over toys and such for kids.

Thank you for the wonderful review - you were very thorough, and let me understand exactly what the book is like!

Tami said...

James Patterson is amazing!