My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

30 November 2009

No Wind of Blame by Georgette Heyer: Book Review

Title: No Wind of Blame
Author: Georgette Heyer
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
Publication Date: Reissue September 2009
Paperback: 364 pages
ISBN: 9781402218019
Genre: Mystery

Photobucket


About the Book
:

The superlatively analytical Inspector Hemingway is confronted by a murder that seems impossible—no one was near the murder weapon at the time the shot was fired. Everyone on the scene seems to have a motive, not to mention the wherewithal to commit murder, and alibis that simply don't hold up. The inspector is sorely tried by a wide variety of suspects, including the neglected widow, the neighbor who's in love with her, her resentful daughter, and a patently phony Russian prince preying on the widow's emotional vulnerability and social aspirations. And then there's the blackmail plot that may—or may not—be at the heart of the case…

My Review:

No Wind of Blame is a brilliantly crafted murder mystery as only the late Georgette Heyer was able to craft. Heyer devotes the first half of the novel to setting the scene for the murder, masterfully weaving together the stories of several of the upper crust in the quaint village creating a cast of characters all with a motive to murder. The murder itself is fairly straightforward, but Inspector Hemingway would be the first to point out things are definitely not as they appear. With witty dialogue, at times delightfully sarcastic, the suspect(s) continually change as the plot becomes more and more entwined the further along Inspector Hemingway's investigation proceeds. Heyer cleverly keeps the reader guessing until the very end, creating an entirely new twist to the traditional cozy mystery. I already have the rest of her mysteries on my Christmas wish list. If one is looking for a clever and witty mystery, one cannot go wrong with No Wind of Blame by Georgette Heyer.

About the author
:

The late Georgette Heyer was a very private woman. Her historical novels have charmed and delighted millions of readers for decades, though she rarely reached out to the public to discuss her works or personal life. She was born in Wimbledon in August 1902, and her first novel, The Black Moth, published when she was 19, was an instant success.

Heyer published 56 books over the next 53 years, until her death from lung cancer in 1974. Her work included Regency novels, mysteries and historical fiction. Known also as the Queen of Regency romance, Heyer was legendary for her research, historical accuracy and her extraordinary plots and characterizations. Her last book, My Lord John, was published posthumously in 1975. She was married to George Ronald Rougier, a barrister, and they had one son, Richard.

I received a free copy of No Wind of Blame by Georgette Heyer from Sourceboks. Receiving a free copy in no way reflected my review of aforementioned novel.

Photobucket

6 comments:

Petunia said...

I plan to read my first Georgette Heyer novel in the next couple of months for a reading challenge. Which of her books would you recommend?

Katy said...

This sounds like a fun read--I love cozies and am always on the lookout for ones I haven't read.

Lula O said...

I loooove Georgette Heyer, but have not read any of her mysteries! Thanks for the great review! Sounds like a perfect winter read.

Aarti said...

I came across your blog from Cym Lowell's page and had to come because I am a Heyer fanatic. I don't think I've read this mystery yet, but I have it and will get to it :-) I adore Heyer's witty writing!

Erotic Horizon said...

You have summed up al lthe things my mum love about Heyers work.. I stil ldon't like her..

Her work reminds me so much of the "quaint" little villiage I grew up in, and I swear most of those people are not beyond plotting a murder...

Great sum up the book..

E.H>

Lori said...

Great review! Thanks for sharing.

I am about to read my first Heyer book (a mystery) and really look forward to it.