My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

15 November 2009

The Wildest Heart by Rosemary Rogers: A Book Review

Title: The Wildest Heart
Author: Rosemary Rogers
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Publication Date: Reprint Edition November 3, 2009
Paperback: 736 pages
ISBN: 9781402222740
Genre: Historical Romance

From the Publisher:

From New York Times Bestseller Rosemary Rogers

No man can tame her, and only a renegade outlaw would dare to try…

No man can tame her
Lady Rowena Dangerfield, wild, headstrong, and scandalously independent, travels from exotic India to the splendor of London to the savage New Mexico frontier hoping to meet her long-lost father and start a new life. She arrives to find herself in the middle of a long-standing feud.

Nothing will stop him from taking what he wants
Lucas Cord, a handsome half-Apache outlaw, is a rebel renegade feared throughout the territories. When he encounters the beautiful stranger, unlike any woman he's ever known before, he knows instantly that he'll have to win her for his own. Together they will experience a rampaging passion as wild and hot as the Southwestern winds.

My review:

First off, I will not rate this book, as I believe my rating would possibly dissuade readers who would normally enjoy this novel. I must be upfront and honest; this novel was not one I enjoyed. With all that being said, I believe it imperative that my readers know, this book is exceedingly well-written, detailed, and rich in character with vivid descriptions of the landscapes from India to the wild west of New Mexico. For the majority of the novel Lady Rowena Dangerfield tells her story as a flashback.

Rosemary Rogers weaves together an extremely detailed novel beginning in India, then briefly in London before Rowena travels to America. The story lines are rich and detailed; the novel is well written; yet I did not care at all for the characters, save the housekeeper Marta and her husband Jules. My dislike for the main character made this a difficult novel for me to read. I persevered on, hoping I would find something about Lady Rowena that I could like, sadly this was not the case for me. My dislike for the main character, the storyteller of this novel, made for an extremely long and tedious read.

As a reviewer I try to stay objective, and in so doing, I cannot say this is a bad novel, since it is not. The novel was not to my liking, but it in no way reflects on the writing style of Rosemary Rogers. I discovered that I am not a fan a western romances, no matter how exceptionally written. Rogers novel is truly well written and if a reader is interested in a complex romance novel set primarily in America, in the later half of the 19th century, a true wild west adventure filled with mystery, intrigue, love and betrayal, then this book may indeed be of extreme interest.

Table of Contents:

Prologue
i India—1872
ii London—1873

The Journals of Rowena Elaine Dangerfield (1873—1876)

Part I: The Marble Goddess
Part II: The Inheritance
Part III: The Violent Peace
Part IV: The Valley of Hidden Desires
Part V: The Bitter Season
Part VI: The Tangled Web

Epilogue: Silver City—1878
About the Author

To read an excerpt of Chapter 1 check the website.

Praise from other reviewers:

What readers say:
"It drives you to read until you drop from exhaustion. It's a true American West adventure. It makes you cry, it makes you wish, and it makes you dream. It's what a romance novel is all about."

"Rosemary Rogers' The Wildest Heart kept me captivated well beyond the last page…beyond the last word…her Ro and Luke continue to wander out there in the Southwest, two truly 'wild hearts.'"

"The characters are so compelling, and…so human and real in their struggles and mistakes and in their love. The ending had me on tenterhooks."

Praise for Rosemary Rogers:
"One of the world's bestselling authors, passion drives her tales."
Time Magazine

"The queen of historical romance."
The New York Times Book Review

"Her novels are filled with adventure, excitement and, always, wildly tempestuous romance."
Fort Worth Star-Telegram


I received a free copy of The Wildest Heart by Rosemary Rogers from Sourceboks. Receiving a free copy in no way reflected my review of aforementioned novel.

Photobucket

12 comments:

Sky said...

I'm a sucker for historical romances! I know that's not your thing though Knitty. Props for giving it a shot though!

I'll add this to my must read list. Thanks for featuring it!!

Jennifer said...

Thank you Sky. The novel is brilliantly written and the story lines are woven together nicely with some surprise twists. This book reaffirmed that I am not a huge fan of westerns/romance novels.

Andrea Proulx said...

I've always had a love for historical romances as well, though it has to be the right book at the right time for me. This book likes like it has an interesting plot, though I'm not sure it's right for me. I've never tried Western Romances before. Thanks for giving your honest feedback!

Octamom said...

Love your honest and balanced review--haven't been too drawn to the western genre myself--
Blessings!

LiveLaughLoveCj said...

Jennifer, as shown here, your honesty is brilliant! So, this particular book, while well written as you indicated was simply not your cup of tea.
But for so many others, who enjoy this genre will take from your review something for them to look forward to.
Kudos to you for keeping it real and honest!

Amy A.K.A. "The Mrs." said...

Thank you for your honesty, knitty! I'm not one for these type of books either but I do know someone who is. I'll be suggesting this book to her A.S.A.P. :)

Jennifer-Eighty MPH Mom said...

I have never read a Western romance either...I don't know if it would be for me or not. I do appreciate your honesty - I'm sorry you did not enjoy it more...I'm sure it took awhile to get through.

Mary said...

I've just started reading historical romances in the last six months. This sounds good - and it's a big book!

Deanna/ibeeeg said...

I think you did a fabulous job with being honest that you did not care much for the book but still able to say that the writing was good. That can be a hard thing to accomplish.

Not all genres are for everyone. I know where my limits are but am still finding new ones. Historical fiction is my cup of tea but I have not read much set in the western part of America. I am going to give this read a go because I am very curious and think I may like it.

Thanks for your review.

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

Hmm I'm not big on romantic novels either. But I do appreciate that you still gave it a balanced review. I'm sure this would be a great reading choice for many!

Sharon said...

I enjoyed reading your review of this book. I'm not much on romance (unless there is an element of humor) and have decided to read some historical romance this year. I may have to try this one.

Jenny Girl said...

You're just being honest and that's what I want. You can't like every book you read, although I personally don't stick with books I dislike. More power to you sister!
I don't read Westerns but with scenery changes I may try this one on for size. Thanks Jen :)