My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

15 December 2009

A Blue and Gray Christmas by Joan Medlicott: A Book Review

Title: A Blue and Gray Christmas
Author: Joan Medlicott
Publisher: Pocket
Publication Date: November 10, 2009
Hardcover: 336 pages
ISBN: 978-1416597353
Genre: Fiction

Photobucket

About the Book:

In this stunning holiday story, a cache of Civil War-era letters and diaries sweeps the ladies of Covington up into a dramatic and heartwarming historical saga that inspires them to plan an unforgettable Christmas for two families forever changed by war.

When a rusty old tin box is unearthed at the Covington Homestead, longtime housemates Grace, Amelia, and Hannah discover that it contains letters and diaries written by two Civil War soldiers, one Union and one Confederate.

The friends are captivated by the drama revealed. The soldiers were found dying on a nearby battlefi eld by an old woman. She nursed them back to health, hiding them from bounty hunters seeking deserters. At the end of the war the men chose to stay in Covington, caring for their rescuer as she grew frail. But while their lives were rich, they still felt homesick and guilty for never contacting the families they'd left behind.

Christmas is coming, and the letters inspire Amelia with a generous impulse. What if she and her friends were to find the two soldiers' descendants and invite them to Covington to meet? What better holiday gift could there be than the truth about these two heroic men and their dramatic shared fate? With little time left, the ladies spring into action to track down the men's families in Connecticut and the Carolinas, and to make preparations in Covington for their most memorable, most historic Christmas yet.


My Review:

A Blue and Gray Christmas by Joan Medlicott was the first book I have read in Medlicott's Covington Series and I found it to be a delightful read. Amelia, Grace and Hannah are vivid and likeable characters. In this novel, the three women are going through a box of letters left for over a hundred years, recently unearthed, from the civil war. The women so touched by the kindness in the letters between two injured men, one from the north the other from the south, Amelia comes up with a plan and soon the three women are decide to spread some Christmas love themselves by planning to make for a memorable Christmas by reuniting the soldiers families. Medlicott's writing is quite vivid, delightful, and makes for a wonderful read. I cannot compare this novel to the others in the series as I have not yet read them, yet I feel A Blue and Gray Christmas makes for a delightful Christmas story.

About the Author:

Joan Medlicott was born and raised on St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands. She lives with her husband in the mountains of North Carolina. Visit her website.

I received a free copy of A Blue and Gray Christmas by Joan Medlicott from the publisher. Receiving a free copy in no way reflected my review of aforementioned novel.

Photobucket

8 comments:

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

This is the second positive review I've read about this book. When words like adorable and delightful are used, you know it's a charming story!

CeeCee said...

I would love to find letters like that.

I see a New Year's readathon button. Dare I click on it? My family would kill me.

kaye said...

this sounds like a wonderful story.

Janet Ruth said...

This sounds like a great book! Thanks for the review, and I will have to add it to my wish list for Christmas.

CanCan (Mom Most Traveled) said...

This does sound cool, I'm not always crazy about novels but I like the civil war angle.

Ryan G said...

This is the second postive review I've read for this book and while it's not normally something I would read, I'm seriously giving it some thought now. Thanks for your thoughts.

Allison said...

Ive seen this book and it looked good! You're review confirms it!!

Jenny Girl said...

Sounds like an interesting book and sweet story for this time of the year. Great review Jen!