My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

10 December 2009

Rain Dance by Joy DeKok: A Book Tour and Review

Title: Rain Dance
Author: Joy DeKok
Publisher: Sheaf House Publishers; 3rd edition
Publication Date: August 1, 2009
Paperback: 348 pages
ISBN: 978-0979748592
Genre: Christian Fiction

About the book:

Jonica is infertile. Stacie chooses an abortion. One is prolife the other prochoice. Both are suddenly alone in misunderstanding, facing hypocrisies in their belief systems, and grieving – one the death of a dream and the other the death of her child. As their hearts break where in the world will they find healing and grace? Can shattered dreams be part of the plan?

My Review:

Rain Dance is a beautiful tale of heartbreak, self-discovering, humility, and enduring love. The novel is told in the alternating voices of Jonica and Stacie, two women who could not be more different and yet are fundamentally very similar. Jonica and Stacie meet one morning in the OB/GYN office waiting room, both there for very different reasons. Jonica is there to terminate any further fertility treatments while Stacie is there to terminate a pregnancy. Both decisions bring tremendous changes to these women who end up forming a tentative friendship, which strengthens as they learn to trust, allow others in, and begin the slow process to healing. Jonica has an extremely strong marriage and supportive parents, while Stacie's is quite the opposite. Each woman travels on a journey of self-discovery and self-acceptance, unknowingly helping the other along the way. DeKok writes in such a manner that one forgets this is indeed a work of fiction. One cannot help but deeply feel for the characters, laughing, crying, and cheering right along side them. When I began reading this novel I was fairly certain I would not care for the Stacie character and was amased to be proven wrong. Stacie ended up being my favourite character as she grew to trust herself, her husband, and ultimately forging a more loving and lasting relationship with her family. Rain Dance is a story that gives the reader a wealth of information for life and one that will stay with the reader long after the book has finished. This book would make a brilliant choice for a book discussion group

About the Author:


Joy DeKok and her husband, Jon, live in Minnesota on thirty-five acres of woods and fields. Joy has been writing most of her life and as a popular speaker shares her heart and passion for God with women. In addition to writing novels, she has also published a devotional and several children’s books.
Visit Joy online.




Join Joy DeKok, author of the contemporary women’s novel, Rain Dance (Sheaf House), as she virtually tours the blogosphere in December on her second virtual book tour with Pump Up Your Book Promotion!

I received a copy of Rain Dance by Joy DeKok from Pump Up Your Book Promotion as part of the tour. Receiving a copy in no way reflected my review of aforementioned novel.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the great review of Joy's book. I've read this one and found it to be truly amazing.

You and your readers will find a video trailer for this powerful book @ YouTube.

Merry Christmas to you and all your readers. I love the holiday look of the blog.

Cheryl

brizmus said...

Another great book of friendship and discovery - this sounds wonderful!
I love it in books when characters prove me wrong, and I end up liking them. :-) It's almost better than if I just liked them from the get go.

Crazy-for-Books said...

I am reading this now for my blog tour stop this week and I am loving it! This is a hard book for me to read, though, since I can relate very well to Jonica. Difficult reading, but I'm hoping for an uplifting ending! :)