My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

06 February 2010

Ramblings From A Migraine Addled Mind


It has been far too long since I have typed out the thoughts all jumbled up in my migraine addled brain. Mainly because I have been far too busy reading and writing reviews (and no, that is not a complaint). I know, me not complaining, fancy that!

Most noteworthy, we finally received snow in my small part of the Midwest. I was resigned to a winter of greenish brown and living vicariously through those with snow. Now I have some of my very own. Pictures will be posted Wednesday. I get all giddy when I see snow, I cannot help it.

My family is well for which I am thankful. The teens are teens, thankfully they are excellent sons, pity they have an attitude with me. I assume it is all part of being the mum.

My pampered, spoiled cat, is cold and not at all amused with the snowfall as it means colder temperatures and lack of sun. Interestingly enough she is an indoor cat and one would think the weather outside would not dictate her mood, yet it does.

My reading is going quite well, I am enjoying my new-found niche as a book reviewer. With that said, I feel I have very little connection with other book reviewers, sort of like being picked last in gym class because everyone must play. Do not interpret my words to say anyone has been cruel, just the opposite, book reviewers are kind and passionate about books and ready to help fellow readers and reviewers. Rather, I am a reclusive book reviewer, as well as being a relatively new book reviewer on the blog block and therefore do not know the other reviewers very well. I truly miss connecting with other reviewers. I visit their blogs, and they visit mine, yet I miss the connections and hopefully time will build those connections. Or quite possibly I am over-analyzing the entire situation. I am only working with about 1% of my brain at the moment.

There has been a lot of discussion as of late about eReaders. My thoughts, for what it is worth (which truly is not much). I am neither for nor against them, they simply are not for me. I have a very difficult time reading things online and eReaders pose the same problem. My strokes and continual TIA's do not help. Medical issues aside I am a sensory reader (save taste!) I love books! I cannot imagine not having piles of books, being able to touch them, smell them (yes I am one of those readers who does indeed enjoy the smell of new books), turn the pages, look at the detailed covers, it all delights me.

I sort of got myself derailed as the boys came in after clearing the end of the driveway the snowplow re-blocked. I am certain I had more useless, rambling thoughts to share. The thoughts have a way of looping around, so maybe next time.

Time to go back to reading and enjoying a relaxing day of not doing much at all. My favourite kind of day. May the books keep arriving and the coffee always be strong.

Photobucket

9 comments:

Marie said...

I don't blame you for not wanting to bother with ereaders. I got one for Christmas and I'm still not sure they're worth the trouble!

Michelle said...

You can have some of our snow! We don't have much now, but we've rarely had a non-snow-covered ground since early December. I'm getting tired of it!

And, I understand what you mean about not really feeling connected. I've got a few people who consistently comment, but it just doesn't feel quite the same. But, hey, we Twitter chat occasionally, right? ;)

PS - Where in the Midwest do you live? Everywhere around me hasn't wanted for snow!

Michelle said...

Jennifer - I think the biggest thing that I've learned this past year is that sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet and put yourself out there. Twitter is the key. Almost everyone tweets, sometimes all day long, and I've found that they are very welcoming when you speak up in one of the ongoing conversations. Many a book discussion or challenge has occurred via Twitter. You'll find that as you reach out to others, they in turn will come and visit you more often.

As for e-readers, I am still undecided myself. I like the idea of having one for trips, but like you, I think reading is an experience of all of the senses, let alone just the eyes.

Kathleen said...

We finally got some snow too, after a few meager attempts at a winter wonderland this month. I hate the look of brown grass, but ah, snow is gorgeous.

I too enjoy the smell, feel and heft of a book. Not that I'd turn down a Kindle, but I think I prefer the old fashioned reading material.

Hope your migraine eases up!

Jean Stockdale said...

Thanks again for stopping by and leaving a comment. Most of my visitors don't leave a note so I so appreciate that you do!!

I am about to launch a new website for my ministry, Standing Near the Cross, and the blog will be incorporated into it. I am so excited. The link will be posted on my current blog, but I don't want to lose you as a bloggy friend. I am a Christian author, Bible teacher and speaker. I write Bible studies for moms and produce accompanying DVDS. I host an online Bible study too. This one is 2 Timothy called "Run Well, Finish Strong" if you are interested in joining us. Check out the blog for details-a 45 minute DVD, podcasts, and downloadable study notes. Join in if you can.Blessings.

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

I am just about done with the damn snow. Sorry! I live in MInnesota and we have WAY too much of it!

I do enjoy some quiet time with reading though and when you can't go outside, sometimes you get a little bit more of that time.

Jenny Girl said...

Firstly, I hope your brain cells stop troubling you soon. Tell them to take a nap or something.
I also get giddy over snow, however this our second big storm this year in Philly, and I have to say this one made me nervous. We had to fight to get out the door! They are talking more snow later this week. Must get to the supermarket.

As far as connecting with other book bloggers, I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean. I work all day, so I can't twitter, but I know some people chat all day on that. I can chat with gchat every now and then if you like. I believe you're on there, right? There are also conversations on goodreads, but again, the work thing.

Is it that you want to talk about the same books or something? We could try to read the same book and discuss...an online book club or something. Although I must admit, I have a book schedule for a while. But let me know anyway. We may have the same books we need to read and review.

E readers: You are not alone in your feelings about them. I think they are nice and all, but I like my books. I like the feel, the smell, being able to see my progress. I love looking at all of the spines. Maybe someday I'll have an ereader, but certainly not anytime soon.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and talk to you soon :)

My Eclectic Reads said...

I'm so glad that I'm not alone! Your posting really echo'd my thoughts on connecting with other bloggers. I have a tiny blog that doesn't have a lot of activity on it, because most of my time is spent either reading or working. I do enjoy posting about books and do love reading the thoughts of other bloggers, but beyond commenting about how great or interesting their selection is...I get lost in what to post! Hence, I don't "meet" others very well. lol

E-readers: I've had one for about two years now. I do enjoy it, but it has its place. I typically only read free books (aka the classics) on it. Feels strange to handle it and my thumb gets tired of changing pages!! But, I like to use the extra large print as a way to rest my eyes! Probably about 10% of my reading time is spent using it.

Even though I've been silent up until now, I enjoy reading your posts. Keep up your good work.

Oregon Kimm

My Eclectic Reads said...

I'm so glad that I'm not alone! Your posting really echo'd my thoughts on connecting with other bloggers. I have a tiny blog that doesn't have a lot of activity on it, because most of my time is spent either reading or working. I do enjoy posting about books and do love reading the thoughts of other bloggers, but beyond commenting about how great or interesting their selection is...I get lost in what to post! Hence, I don't "meet" others very well. lol

E-readers: I've had one for about two years now. I do enjoy it, but it has its place. I typically only read free books (aka the classics) on it. Feels strange to handle it and my thumb gets tired of changing pages!! But, I like to use the extra large print as a way to rest my eyes! Probably about 10% of my reading time is spent using it.

Even though I've been silent up until now, I enjoy reading your posts. Keep up your good work.

Oregon Kimm