My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

25 March 2010

Book Review: Just Let Me Lie Down by Kristin van Ogtrop


Title: Just Let Me Lie Down
Author: Kristin van Ogtrop
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Publication Date: April 1, 2010
Hardcover: 272 pages
ISBN: 9780316068284
Genre: Bibliography/Autobiography

Photobucket and 1/2



From the Publisher
:

Kristin van Ogtrop knows she's lucky--fulfilling career, great husband, three healthy kids, and, depending on the hamster count, an impressive roster of pets. She also knows she is tired. Always. Using stories and insights from her own life, she provides a lexicon for the half-insane working mom. Anyone who has left a meeting to race to the Halloween parade immediately understands van Ogtrop's definition of "Kill the messenger" as "The action you must take in order to forget about the office for a time--that is, to remove your Blackberry/Treo/iPhone/whatever from your person and store it as far away as your neurotic self will allow.

My Review:

While I am not a working mom in the sense that I do not work outside the home, nor do I get paid, I believe all moms are working moms and I found Just Let Me Lie Down by Kristin van Ogtrop to be a delightful and quite insightful look at the challenges working moms face. The author takes examples from her personal, working, and family life to create a witty and thorough dictionary of words and definitions that may just become part of every working moms language. Let me admit upfront that the title drew me in as a mom of three active teens, and I understand the desire to just want to lie down and rest. Kristin van Ogtrop takes the every day actions that can delight and frustrate working moms and creates a Lexicon for all working moms to follow. Kristin van Ogtrop puts into words and gives a name to the highs and lows of parenting, marriage, and work relationships. Just Let Me Lie Down is a fun, witty, and insightful read and a novel all moms will be able to relate with. Just Let Me Lie Down is written in such a manner that it can be enjoyed reading from front to back in one sitting or savored by reading it a little piece at a time.

About the Author:

Kristin van Ogtrop is the editor of Real Simple magazine and has held positions at Glamour, Vogue, Travel & Leisure, and Premiere. She lives outside New York City with her family.



I received a complimentary copy of Just Let Me Lie Down by Kristin van Ogtrop from Hachette as part of the tour. Receiving a free copy in no way reflected my review of aforementioned novel.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Jackie said...

This title had piqued my interest but I've got a bunch to read right now, so couldn't fit it in. It sounds great and I may have to move it up the TBR pile now. I loved the 'LEGO mom'; that's how I feel most days, lol. Thanks for the review :-)