My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

21 March 2010

Book Review: Silent Scream


Title: Silent Scream
Author: Karen Rose
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Publication Date: June 1, 2010
Paperback: 608 pages
ISBN: 9780446538367
Genre: Mystery, Suspense

Photobucket


From the Publisher
:

When a teenage girl dies in a suspicious fire, Detective Olivia Sutherland is assigned to track down the arsonist. Then she discovers something more sinister: a vicious blackmailer who preys on young people and murders without hesitation. Making her work even harder is sexy firefighter David Hunter. He's not only sharing the case but sparking memories of their long-ago night of passion, when feelings were left unspoken and hearts were broken.

David has his own ghosts, and a million regrets. But while he and Olivia try to face the wall of pain between them, a diabolical puppet master is pulling strings to make a group of twentysomethings do his bidding. Soon Olivia and David are scouring the city for a calculating criminal who seems tantalizingly close--and is moving in for the kill.


My Review:

Over thirty years ago I read my first Trixie Belden novel, The Secret of the Mansion by Julie Campbell and I was forever hooked on mystery novels. It is beyond a doubt my favourite genre and reading Silent Scream by Karen Rose reminded me of all the reasons why I do so enjoy an excellent mystery. Silent Scream is what some would call a chunkster at well over 500 pages and I quite literally read the novel cover to cover, as I was unable to put the book down. Silent Scream is made up of an intricate web of relationships, grudges, and buried secrets along with clever plot twists that will keep the reader guessing until the very end. The novel begins with four college students: Albert, Mary, Eric, and Joel setting fire to a condo in an effort to save the wetlands. Unbeknownst to these four, someone is videotaping the entire scene, which will be later used to blackmail them. Furthermore, there is a witness who saw the blackmailer and knows there was a girl trapped in the fire. Enter Firefighters Zell and Hunter along with homicide detectives Sutherland and Kane and the novel begins to take off as Rose creates the perfect plot; one that will keep the reader not only engaged but also thinking as the novel progresses. Without a doubt Silent Scream is a page-turner and one any mystery fan will enjoy. As loathe as I am to admit this, I had not heard of Karen Rose's novels prior to this one and I will be reading all of her earlier novels as I believe there may potentially be some character carry-over, or at least I hope there is, as she puts together an amazing cast of characters. Silent Scream is a must read mystery.

About the Author:

Karen Rose is a RITA Award-winning author who fell in love with books from the time she learned to read, with Jo from Little Women and Nancy Drew becoming close childhood friends. A former chemical engineer and high school chemistry and physics teacher, Karen lives in Florida with her husband of twenty years, their two children, and the family cat, Bella. For more information, visit her website.


I received a complimentary copy of Silent Scream by Karen Rose from Hachette as part of the tour. Receiving a free copy in no way reflected my review of aforementioned novel.

Photobucket

13 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh I can't wait to read this book. I've read almost all her books. I have two from the library I am going to read pretty soon.

David finally gets his own story! He pops up in a lot of the previous books.

Thanks for the review

Jennifer said...

Sarah,

Thank you for confirming there is indeed some carry-over. I cannot wait to start with her first novel.

Jennifer

Sarah said...

Yeah! When I first started reading her novels I didn't realize they were a series so I read the first two books last lol! I don't know how, but I ended up read the rest in series order without realizing it.

Kay said...

I'm so glad to know that Karen Rose has a new book coming out. Yea! Her books don't really have to be read in order, but you may come across couples who had their story in another book.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I enjoy a good mystery too and have enjoyed this author in the past. I cant remember the last time I read a book over 500 pages! That had to be a wonderful mystery!

Cat said...

Trixie Belden & Nancy Drew...my love of mysteries came from them too.
I love Karen Rose and waiting patiently for my turn at her new one. Don't Tell , I think it's called.

Jennifer said...

Cat,

On April 27th "I Can See You" comes out. "Don't Tell" was released December 10th. I hope this information helps. Happy reading. :)

Jennifer

detweilermom said...

Trixie Belden started me on mysteries too. I never got into Nancy Drew. I will definitely have to check this book out.

karen said...

Jennifer - thank you so very much!

As soon as you said "Trixie Belden" I started to smile. Trixie and Honey were childhood friends of mine. FYI, the characters do carry-over and both David and Olivia are present in other books. Olivia's sister is Mia Mitchell who's been in several previous books. From the get-go, Mia was a grown-up Trixie Belden in my mind.

Hope you enjoy the other books and thank you again!

Karen Rose

fredamans said...

Now that I know how good it is, I'll pull out the audiobook I have. Great review!

The Book Pimp Blogs said...

I have read all of Karen Rose's books and have Silent Scream on Pre-order. Can't wait for it to arrive!!

Heidi V said...

This sounds really good I'm going to have to make sure I read it!

Thanks for the review.

Linkmeister said...

I just read your review at Library Thing and wanted to confirm that there are relationships between the books. Here's the explanation from Rose's website:
http://www.karenrosebooks.com/krose-relationships.htm