My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

27 March 2010

Book Review: A Touch of Scandal by Jennifer Haymore


Title: A Touch of Scandal
Author: Jennifer Haymore
Publisher: Forever
Publication Date: March 30, 2010
Paperback: 432 pages
ISBN: 978-0446540278
Genre: Historical Romance

Photobucket and 1/2


From the Publisher
:

The last thing Garrett, Duke of Calton, expects to find while tracking his sworn enemy is the delectable, mysterious Kate. This beautiful servant girl rouses a longing the battle-scarred ex-soldier had never hoped to feel again. But when she turns out to be the sister of the man he seeks, he's convinced he's been betrayed.

Kate knows her duty to her family, yet how can she ignore Garrett's powerful pull on her heart? Or the heady temptation of his stolen-and sizzling-kisses? Scandal has followed the duke since the war. Now the greatest shock of all is on its way-the one that can separate Garrett and Kate forever.


My Review:

Before A Touch of Scandal, there was A Hint of Wicked by Jennifer Haymore, a novel I have not had the pleasure to read, rest assured that will be remedied immediately. A Touch of Scandal is an exhilarating historical romance, which can easily stand on it's own merits written with a fluidity of prose that renders the reader back to England in the 1820s. Her characters are quite realistic and her descriptions leave little for the reader to imagine as one feels as though one is with the characters. 22-year-old Kate is a lady's maid for Lady Rebecca whose husband happens do be William Fisk, Kate's brother, a piece of information that has been kept from Lady Rebecca. Kate does not sleep in the house with the other servants but rather she travels 6 miles by foot each day so she can tend to her ailing younger brother Reggie. One evening Kate sees a man bathing in a semi-hidden pool of a castle ruins and she is drawn to him. She learns his name is Garrett and knows little else of him, but her brother then catches the two together, and holds Garrett hostage back at Debussey Manor. If he is so dangerous and a wanted man, why would he put his mother, sister and brother at risk? Kate does not understand, nor does she realise that Garrett is the Duke of Calton and Lady Rebecca's brother. Kate as well as Lady Rebecca are sweet and trusting women, innocents caught up in a long-standing quarrel between Garrett and William. Which is telling the truth of events that took place eight years past? The answers and what become of these fabulous characters makes this book a delightful read and a captivating novel that will touch the reader's heart and mind and keep the reader fully engaged as the plot continues to unwind. A Touch of Scandal is a historical romance novel filled with deep seeded family secrets, deceptions, and scandal and above all, family. I am anxiously awaiting Jennifer Haymore's next novel, A Season of Seduction, which will be in stores sometime in October.

About the Author:

I’ve been writing since I could pick up a pencil….

Wait, no…that’s what every other writer says! I started writing just before my eighth birthday, and it wasn’t on my own volition. I was sailing with my family in a 42-foot sailboat across the Pacific, and since there were no local schools (except those pertaining to fish) nearby, my mother homeschooled me. She was a strict taskmaster! A veritable slave driver! She demanded a new story every day.

So I’d sit in the boat’s galley and write. And stare out the porthole, and write some more. And doodle, and write some more. By the time we arrived in Hawaii the following year, I had a portfolio of stories, and I was hooked. Since then I haven’t stopped. (Well, much. I did take breaks now and then, for things like college, young kids, and a master’s degree.)

I love to read just as much as I love to write, and actually the reading bug hit me at about the same time my mom was cracking the whip over my head and commanding me to write. What else to occupy your time with when there are no other kids to play with and nothing to do but stare at the endless sea? Some of my most recent favorites: The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, River God by Wilbur Smith, and anything by Laura Kinsale and Loretta Chase.



5 Fun Facts Here
Author's Website
Friend the Author on Facebook.
Follow the author on Twitter.

I received a complimentary copy of A Touch of Scandal by Jennifer Haymore from Hachette as part of the tour. Receiving a free copy in no way reflected my review of aforementioned novel.

Photobucket

6 comments:

Mary said...

I have A Hint of Wicked so I'll read that and then A Touch of Scandal. Nice review. It's on my list. Like Ms. Haymore, I recently read Outlander for the first time. It was a fun book and I look forward to the rest of that huge series.

Kim - In Search of Me in Mommy said...

Thanks for the review...I'll have to check out Haymore's books!

HAPPY SITS SATURDAY SHAREFEST!

Heather said...

that looks really good! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Stopping by from SITS!

Mhel said...

If you love this kind of reads, you should check out Scandalouswomen.blogspot.com. They have a vast collection of book reviews and histories about scandalous women of all times..

Found you on SITS. Happy Saturday Sharefest!!

Book Dilettante said...

Historical romances are always fun!

Harvee
Book Dilettante

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

Awesome review! I really want to read this one :)