My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

23 March 2010

Book Tour and Review: The Girl Who Chased the Moon


Title: The Girl Who Chased the Moon
Author: Sarah Addison Allen
Publisher: Bantam
Publication Date: March 16, 2010
Hardcover: 288 pages
ISBN: 978-0553807219
Genre: Fiction

Photobucket

About the Book:

In her latest enchanting novel, New York Times bestselling author Sarah Addison Allen invites you to a quirky little Southern town with more magic than a full Carolina moon. Here two very different women discover how to find their place in the world…no matter how out of place they feel.

Emily Benedict came to Mullaby, North Carolina, hoping to solve at least some of the riddles surrounding her mother’s life. For instance, why did Dulcie Shelby leave her hometown so suddenly? Why did she vow never to return? But the moment Emily enters the house where her mother grew up and meets the grandfather she never knew—a reclusive, real-life gentle giant—she realizes that mysteries aren’t solved in Mullaby, they’re a way of life.

Here are rooms where the wallpaper changes to suit your mood. Unexplained lights skip across the yard at midnight. And a neighbor bakes hope in the form of cakes.

Everyone in Mullaby adores Julia Winterson’s cakes. She offers them to satisfy the town’s sweet tooth and in the hope of bringing back the love she fears she’s lost forever. In Julia, Emily may have found a link to her mother’s past. But why is everyone trying to discourage Emily’s growing relationship with the handsome and mysterious son of Mullaby’s most prominent family? Emily came to Mullaby to get answers, but all she’s found so far are more questions.

Is there really a ghost dancing in her backyard? Can a cake really bring back a lost love?

In this town of lovable misfits, maybe the right answer is the one that just feels…different.


My Review:

The Girl Who Chased the Moon
is a delightfully intriguing story of family, secrets, friendship, love and the enchanting town of Mullaby, North Carolina. Things are most definitely not as they appear in this charming novel by Sarah Addison Allen. Not having read Allen's previous two novels I had no expectations going into The Girl Who Chased the Moon. While this is not a genre I would typically choose to read, I am glad it was offered to me, for I found this novel to be a delightful and at times whimsical read. While the slightly odd inhabitants of Mullaby make this story as charming as it is, the central characters are 17-year old Emily, who has come to live with her grandfather Vance and hopes to discover anything she can about her mother; then there is Julia, who has returned for only a few days to straighten up her father's affairs, the only problem is that Julia is still in Mullaby after two years. While Julia continues to plan a way out of Mullaby, Emily is desperately trying to learn anything she can about her mother. Julia, Emily, Stella, Sawyer, Win, and even Vance will find their way into the hearts of the reader. Allen's prose is quite lovely and her attention to detail makes it easy for the reader to feel as though one is in Mullaby smelling those delicious hummingbird cakes made daily by Julia. The Girl Who Chased the Moon is an enchanting novel that will capture the reader's attention and imagination.

About the Author:

Sarah Addison Allen is the New York Times bestselling author of Garden Spells and The Sugar Queen. She was born and raised in Asheville, North Carolina, where she is currently at work on her next novel. You can visit Sarah Addison Allen’s website.



Sarah Addison Allen’s THE GIRL WHO CHASED THE MOON VIRTUAL BOOK TOUR officially began on March 1st and end on March 26th. You can visit Sarah’s blog stops at www.virtualbooktours.wordpress.com during the month of March to find out more about this great book and talented author!

I received a complimentary copy of The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen from Pump Up Your Book Promotion as part of the tour. Receiving a copy in no way reflected my review of aforementioned novel.

Photobucket

10 comments:

Andrea Proulx said...

I'm so glad for your review, it makes me just KNOW that I will read this when the library gets it in for me! Thanks Knitty!

parentingBYdummies said...

Thanks for sharing. I'm always looking for something new to read!

Monique said...

Congrats on your Pump Up Your Book Promotion!
Monique
www.armsofasister.com

Cheryl said...

Thanks for the lovely review of Sarah's latest book. So many people during this tour have loved it. She has a large following.

Cheryl

Pump Up Your Book

Susie Sharp Librarian said...

I'm reading this right now my Tuesday Teaser is from this book!Wanted to skip work so I could read it!I've loved Sarah's other books!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Oh I love to read! My mom is an author so I guess I got the reading gene from her but not the writing gene! LOL! So glad I found your blog thru SITS! I am your newest follower! Hope you can come visit me sometime at Kitchen Belleicious. I have some great recipes and I am doing a wonderful giveaway this week! talk to you soon! http://kitchenbelleicious.blogspot.com

Wanda said...

I like learning about books like this, they're a nice (and necessary) change of pace from some of the bleaker books I more often read.

Diane said...

Thanks for sharing for thoughts Jen. I liked this one a lot as well as the authors 2 earlier books.

Midday Escapades said...

I always enjoy great book reviews. Now I just need to find some time to read great books. :0)

Visiting from SITS. Hope to see you at my place soon.

My Book Barn said...

Great review! Stopping by from SITS!

~Angela