My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

18 March 2010

Booking Through Thursday - Prose


Which do you prefer? Lurid, fruity prose, awash in imagery and sensuous textures and colors? Or straight-forward, clean, simple prose?

Actually both. Some novels are better written and read in one form than the other. It depends on the message the writer is trying to convey to the reader. I am one who, if asked to choose, prefers well written novels with long prose. I am not certain what exactly "fruity prose" would encompass as I imagine everyone will have differing opinions of this terminology. I do enjoy words, and when an author, through prose can make me feel with all my senses as though I am in the novel, for me that is bliss. What are your thoughts on the topic?

Anyone can play along each Thursday with Booking Through Thursday.

Photobucket

8 comments:

dArLyN said...

hello jennifer! i have an award to share with you! hope you like it!

http://darlynandbooks.blogspot.com/2010/03/blog-awards-10-sugar-doll-blogger.html

Pam said...

I like both too because I love how an author can paint a picture with words. But at the same time, sometimes it's better if the author withholds a bit so my imagination can fill in the blanks. I don't have to be given the entire picture with words...I like to add my own art to the picture with my mind.

nashvillebookworm said...

I like authors who can do interesting things with language.

For example, Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett. Both make it looks effortless to be witty in the way they construct sentences. And yet if you try yourself or see others imitate it, it's a lot harder than it looks.

Same thing when it comes to choosing how much or how little descriptive narrative one uses. As a reader of SF and fantasy, I love world building. But I don't need the detail of every blade of grass or every footstep of your epic journey written out for me. Sometimes less is more...

It really depends on who is writing and the situation.

Bibliobabe said...

Ohhh - our answers are so close! Good post. I agree to both - whatever makes great literature!

Here's mine:
http://www.bibliobabe.com/?p=921

pussreboots said...

I like a hint for my senses but I'm pretty good at filling in the details most of the time. My post is here.

Ted said...

I'm with you.

Debbie said...

I think I lean closer to the clean prose but a little fruity is good.

Marie said...

I guess it depends. Sometimes too much is too much for me. *shrug*