My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

08 May 2010

Book Review: Rumor Has It by Jill Mansell


Title: Rumor Has It
Author: Jill Mansell
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
Publication Date: May 1, 2010
Paperback: 416 pages
ISBN: 781402237508
Genre: Fiction

Photobucket and 1/2


From the Publisher
:

Would you be tempted?

Newly single, Tilly Cole impulsively accepts a job offer in a small town as a “Girl Friday.” Fun job, country house, fresh start, why not? But soon she finds herself in a hotbed of gossip, intrigue, and rampant rivalry for the town’s most desirable bachelor—Jack Lucas.

Rumors of Jack’s “love ’em and leave ’em” escapes abound, and Tilly decides to do the mature, sensible thing... avoid Jack at all cost. But the more time Tilly spends with Jack, the more the rumors just don’t make sense. Tilly doesn’t know what to believe... and Jack’s not telling.


My Review:

Funny, smart, and wonderfully amusing Rumor Has It by Jill Mansell is a delightfully refreshing look at the inhabitants of the eccentric and gossipy town of Roxborough. Mansell writes strong and realistic characters, replete with flaws and mannerisms that can at times drive a person a bit mad, yet makes the characters all the more endearing and unforgettable. The main character, Tilly, returns home from work to discover her boyfriend has done a bunk, leaving her with a flat she cannot afford and does what anyone would do, she goes to visit her best chum Erin. While visiting Erin in Roxborough, Tilly answers an advert for a Girl Friday position and before she knows she is hired on by Max Dineen and his precocious teenager Lou. Rumor Has It is filled with several sub-plots with a hint of intrigue and a few twists making it rather impossible to set down. The reader is quickly immersed into Roxborough and the inhabitants of High Street through the descriptive writings of Mansell and the gossip surrounding Stella, Fergus, Erin, Max, Jack, Lou, Kaye and the rest of the inhabitants of High Street. While I enjoyed all of the characters, I must say my absolute favourite was Max, his mannerisms were very familiar as was his wit and I found him irresistible. Rumor Has It is a novel one easily becomes absorbed in and readers will soon lose sight of time. My only regret was when the novel ended. I highly recommend Rumor Has It to anyone looking for a charmingly witty, and all around fun novel.

I received a complimentary copy of Rumor Has It by Jill Mansell from Sourcebooks. Receiving a complimentary copy in no way reflected my review of aforementioned novel.

Photobucket

4 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

This is a great book and Max is an adorable character. I'd love to see a follow-up to this book.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Staci said...

I received one of Mansell's books a few months ago, haven't read it yet, but I so loved your review of this one that I feel the need to dig through my stacks and get it out!!!

OutnumberedMama said...

Looks like a fun read. Very thoughtful review.

Booksnyc said...

I haven't read any of Mansell's books yet but this sounds great! I love British chick lit so this sounds right up my alley!!