My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.rundpinne.com
and update your bookmarks.

12 June 2010

Book Review: Three Wishes by Carey Goldberg, Beth Jones, Pamela Ferdinand


Title: Three Wishes: A True Story of Good Friends, Crushing Heartbreak, and Astonishing Luck on Our Way to Love and Motherhood
Author: Carey Goldberg, Beth Jones, Pamela Ferdinand
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Publication Date: April 6, 2010
Hardcover: 288 pages
ISBN: 978-0316035606
Genre: Autobiography/Biography

Photobucket

From the Publisher:

Carey, Beth, and Pam had succeeded at work but failed at romance, and each resolved to have a baby before time ran out. Just one problem: no men. Carey took the first bold step towards single motherhood, searching anonymous donor banks until she found the perfect match.

What she found was not a father in a vial, but a sort of magic potion. She met a man, fell in love, and got pregnant the old-fashioned way. She passed the vials to Beth, and it happened again. Beth met man, Beth got pregnant. Beth passed the vials to Pam, and the magic struck again. There were setbacks and disappointments, but three women became three families, reveling in the shared joy of love, friendship, and never losing hope.


My Review:

Carey Goldberg, Beth Jones, and Pamela Ferdinand have compiled an intriguing look into their lives, describing at times in very vivid detail the good along with the bad in Three Wishes. I typically am rather fond of memoirs and while Three Wishes was an interesting read, I had a difficult time relating to the women as individuals. The book is told in alternating voices yet the writing was exceedingly similar making it difficult for me to separate the women. Granted all three of the women lead different lives each struggles with approaching 40 years old, the desire to have children, and each is looking for a loving relationship. My biggest obstacle with this book is probably my inability to relate to these women, possibly because I am older, married and my children are no longer young, so the struggles Carey, Beth, and Pam write about, such as online dating, sperm banks, divorce, therapy, and pregnancy termination are completely foreign to my world, the last topic actually has given me nightmares. I truly wish I enjoyed this book more. With that stated, I do think single women in their twenties and thirties will be able to relate well with these three women and the struggles they face having full-time careers, finding Mr. Right and their respective desires to have children. I do believe Three Wishes would make an excellent choice for a discussion group considering all the choices and life changes that occur throughout the book.

About the Author:

Carey Goldberg has been Boston bureau chief of the New York Times, Moscow correspondent for the Los Angeles Times, and most recently a health-and-science reporter at the Boston Globe. She now writes happily at home. Beth Jones is a freelance writer and educator who has contributed to the Boston Globe, New York Times, and numerous academic journals. She plans to climb many more frozen waterfalls. Pamela Ferdinand is an award-winning freelance journalist and former reporter for the Washington Post, Boston Globe, and Miami Herald.



I received a complimentary copy of Three Wishes by Carey Goldberg, Beth Jones, Pamela Ferdinand from Hachette. Receiving a free copy in no way reflected my review of aforementioned book.

Photobucket

2 comments:

B.A.M. Book Reviews said...

Good review :) I may or may not like this book. I can't really tell yet.

-Briana

Lynne said...

I gave this a 4.5 / 5. I thought the writing was great. I do remember though having a hard time remembering who was who when it was their turn to "talk." I kept having to refer to the picture on the book jacket to keep them straight.